Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Montana X-treme

Old 01-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Montana X-treme

Well I can tell you where to get it, but I am not sure I want to call it a miracle cleaner oil yet. Although it is pulling carbon out of a barrel that is in very poor shape. Even after the patches I was pushing through were coming out clean. So time will tell. Sabotloader wants to test a little more too.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

www.midsouthshooterssupply.com for the Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner, order # 165-07030 4oz. Bottle $5.86ea. Montana Extreme Xtreme Gun Oil, order # 165-07015 4oz. $5.02 Telephone # 1-800-272-3000 and if your interested in the (Birchwood Casey Sheath Rust Preventative)Order # 012-33140 10oz. Aerosol $5.94
Old 01-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I cant wait to get the Montana Xtreme Bore Conditioner and XTreme Gun oil to try in Both Barrel's of My ACCURA's. One being only shot a few times and the other never being shot, this will be a good test for the Montana X Products as the barrela are clean of any carbon deposits. But what I wasnt to see is how this will work with the ACCURA's (Bargara Barrel's) since the Bargara Barrel's go through a 4 step process wich includes...#1 a straight bar a cylinder steel.....#2 deep hole drilling machine...#3 (BARREL POLISHING) this is the process that will really show Montana XTreme Bore Conditioner's Benefits as the Barrel is POLISHED. Bargara barrel's pass through (3) seperate honing spindles that use diamond tipped bits that polish the barrel's interior surface. Then step 4 is the rifling process. So with the Bargara's Barrel being polished to a (MIRROR LIKE FINISH) the Montana XTreme Bore Conditioner should really shine here (no pun intended) as these barrel's are produced to the provide exceptional accuracy and with the help of the Montana X they should preform flawlessly. I'll keep you posted on my results. And the rest of you let us know your's also. Happy Shooting! Ron
Old 01-23-2009, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Did I read (on MM) that this bore conditioner can cause rust? Did I get that right?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Fork Horn

Cayugad,

OK. I am going to order a few bottles today. Do I have to put more oil in the bore after I put the conditioner in or do I just use the bore conditioner and thats all. If I need more oil what should I use. Would it be OK to follow it up with some Barricade/Sheath which is what I use now or should I use something else?
Old 01-23-2009, 08:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

SHulion

Scott, do not order to many bottles, the stuff is very thin goes miles... I made some pre-made patches two or three months ago (maybe acouple of dozen patches) and I am still working on that original batch and if you looked at the bottle you would not think I have used any...

Also remember theConditioner is for use as the final product - the barrel should be squeaky clean - do not use it as abore cleaner. Normally you will use one patch per bore -several stokes both sides of the patch.

Shaun, the voice I talked to on the phone, and I think Jon, the emailer that Dave is talking to, both saidthe Conditioner would also protect the bore long term - it has mine, but Shaun indicated if you had any doubts and you were going to store the gun for a length of timeapatch of a heavier gun oil would be OK - It would not interfer with the Conditioner at all - ust patch the bore clean and dry before shooting.

I have had the conditioner and conditioner onlyin several Renegades just sitting (standing) in the open unused room for 2 1/2 months now -I check themevery 2 weeks by running a dry patch- so for all is well.

Using the product has an attached learning curve and it always better to safe than sorry... so do what you feel protects YOU best.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks sabotloader. Both of my guns are squeeky clean right now. I think I will alcohol swab out the Sheath and put in some MX bore conditioner. Thanks for the quick reply. I'll also keep an eye on it for a while just to make sure the barrel is not showing any signs of rust. If I do decide to put a little extra oil in the barrel, should I let the "bore conditioner" sit a little while before I put the oil in. Also, will the BC Sheath be OK?
Old 01-23-2009, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

SHulion

Both of my guns are squeeky clean right now. I think I will alcohol swab out the Sheath and put in some MX bore conditioner.
This just my thoughts... but i think that would be the way to go. After the alcohol - make sure the bore is really really dry before moving on to the next step... If the gun is going to idle for an extended time a more wet patch of conditioner would probably be appropriate. If you are going to shoot it in the next month or so then a damp patch several stokes both sides. The conditoner requires time and shooting to work to its fullest extent.

I'll also keep an eye on it for a while just to make sure the barrel is not showing any signs of rust.
That is what i am doing - I patched all the Renegades and a coupl of inlines with the barely damp patch and I am wayching them. I have not patched anything with a heavy storage??? patch.

If I do decide to put a little extra oil in the barrel, should I let the "bore conditioner" sit a little while before I put the oil in.
I certainly would - the longer the X-treme sits in the obre on its own the better it works... the only thing that helps it work faster is shooting - the n the heat helps open up the bore.

Also, will the BC Sheath be OK?
Well if you listen to Dave it is the best - think he might just drink the stuff to discourage the aging process also.... Naw, it is a really good protectant.. Good on the outside also

Remember all of this is not from MX - a lot of this is just my expreriance and I am still tryigto figure it all out...

mike
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

I too have older guns thatI would like to make shine so I guess I can get some to try. Thanks Breechplug for the link.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gotbuck

I too have older guns thatI would like to make shine so I guess I can get some to try
Actually that would be a great addition to our experiment if you would not mind. I am assuming some facts here also - assuming the guns have been shot and cleaned several times? How about conicals - have you shot conicals from any one of them more than the other? Black Power - has one been shot with a lot of black powder loads???

If you would not mind I would like you to pick one that has been shot more than the others... clean the bore again to clear as much oil or left over residue from anything as well as you can. When you have it cleaned again and DRY ( I think this is a big key even if it is alcohol) Then patch in a couple of wet patches (both sides) of the conditioner - these patches might come out with just a bit of light blue coloring on them - not to worry... Do not dry patch at this point. Set the gun aside in a warm room, it would be great if it could be stored horizontally, for a couple of weeks. Then run a dry patch.... This stuff works over time and with the aid of heat.

These are my words not Montana X-treme. I really beleive the conditioner leaches its way into the pores and slight depressions in the bore and most importantly the breech side of the lands... this leaching process causes foreign non-steel materails to loosen and be forced out of these hard to get spots. Then a dry patch will pick them up as happened to Dave. Course then agin you might not get anything but a wel protected bore...

If you have an opportunity to do this it would be great....

mike

Quick Reply: Montana X-treme

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.