Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Test confirmation proposal

Old 01-20-2009, 07:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Test confirmation proposal

The last 2 times I clean my guns after shooting BH-209 I have used some Goof-Off to clean the hard fouling from the breach face and BP. It seems to do a good job at removing the carbon build up using just a Q-tip and a bit of elbow grease. Has anyone else tried this? Does anyone want to try it and confirm if it works for you? Am I imagining what I think I saw? Am I nuts?... No wait, don't answer that last one. Give it a try and see what happens, there might be something to it.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Test confirmation proposal

I used Coca cola for a 1/2 hour and it melted the stuff off the brech plug. Cheap and I can mix it w/a bourbon while i am cleaning my guns!
Old 01-20-2009, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Personally I have a flash light battery screw driver I picked up at Walmart for $10 and it takes care of the problem in a few seconds it comes with a 1/8 inch drill that is designed for wood so it does not cut the breach plug. There is a lot of answers out there I know some people pick up a product from car stores that's for taking carbon off metal when working on car engines. There is no dought that what you are doing works if you like it best stay with it. Lee
Old 01-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use beak free and a old toothbrush spray plug first clean the rest of the gun,then when done,foulingwipes
wright off of bp
Old 01-20-2009, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, always more than one way to skin a cat. I mainly wanted to pass along the info and see if anyone else had tried it. I tried the Goof Off simply because I already had some and it seems to work pretty good. I do use the 1/8" drill method when it starts to build up. I haven't tried the Breakfree yet but will, running low on it right now so I need to get some more. I didn't get real good results with brake cleaner but maybe needed to let it soak a bit longer. I hadn't thought of getting some of the engine carbon cleaner but that is a good idea, I need to run some through the old truck anyway.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a small screwdriver and a .22 bore brush.