Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

Old 01-18-2009, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

I have heard that 209 Primers have too much flame and they actually lift the sabot off the powder charge prematurally, any truth to this????
Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I have heard that 209 Primers have too much flame and they actually lift the sabot off the powder charge prematurally, any truth to this????
The Kleenbore and similar products are $8/box, and I don't think they are any better than the $3 209a Winchesters. Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using both, the kleen bore and Triple Seven and have not noticed any difference in accuracy. I have also heard to switch back to No.10 caps, I have breechplug addapters to add the No.10's to the 209 but have'nt tried this experiment has anyone? Then again I've heard you need the extra umphhhh from the 209's to properally ignite the pellets. Who's right??
Old 01-18-2009, 04:07 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

I have heard this too, can I verify it?-- No. I shoot cci-209m primers, and haven't ever had a problem. If your sabot/load are a good fit, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I have been using both, the kleen bore and Triple Seven and have not noticed any difference in accuracy. I have also heard to switch back to No.10 caps, I have breechplug addapters to add the No.10's to the 209 but have'nt tried this experiment has anyone? Then again I've heard you need the extra umphhhh from the 209's to properally ignite the pellets. Who's right??
I think if your getting a crud ring with 777 you deal with it by shooting a different primer or swabing each shot. I did the swabbing each shot when I shot 777. I now shoot Blackhorn and it needs a hot primer.Here is a little experiement someone did on the Savage forum with a Chrony shooting just a sabot out of the barrel.A Savage has to have a hot primer to ignite it (no 777 primers or Kleenbore), just like Blackhorn has to have a hot primer. Chap

Old 01-18-2009, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

1: When people shoot sub-moa groups using Win209a and Federal 209s, the argument becomes sort of irrelevant.

2: Conventional wisdom is for maximum accuracy use the ignition source with the least energy that still positively ignites the charge. Doing so is supposed to help eliminate the occasional, and unexplainable, fliers.

3: See item 1.

and don't you mean #11 caps. #10 caps are generally for pistols.

Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Typical Buck

This was Cecil Epps reasoning behind the 22 Hornet and later 25 ACP ignition systems. Small rifle primers were the answer to unexplained flyers. I have used the 25 ACP ignition and noticedno difference inaccuracy. It did lessen the crud ring somewhat,but I still swab between shots at the range for consistancy(even with Pyro).In the woods my "follow up shot" is loaded with an MMP 3EZ sabot and no swab.

Charlie
Old 01-18-2009, 04:55 PM
Spike

Regardless of the name "Blackhorn 209 " the .25acp with the cci 450 small rifle MAGNUM primers works just fine.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

1: When people shoot sub-moa groups using Win209a and Federal 209s, the argument becomes sort of irrelevant.

2: Conventional wisdom is for maximum accuracy use the ignition source with the least energy that still positively ignites the charge. Doing so is supposed to help eliminate the occasional, and unexplainable, fliers.

3: See item 1. Yes, Im sorry, I ment the #11's I was thinking of my percussion......sorry for the error

and don't you mean #11 caps. #10 caps are generally for pistols.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

if that was true we would never get groups under an inch, since a lot of us do its not. probably some body trying to sell some thing. Lee

Quick Reply: Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.