Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

Old 01-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Has anyone hear of 209 primers having too much flame?

The Kleenbore and similar products are $8/box, and I don't think they are any better than the $3 209a Winchesters. Chap

X1

Tried the Winchester 777 primers and the Remington Muzzleloading primers. The Remingtons did not make a good seal in my Encore and the Winchester 777s made the 777 crud ring worse.

It is Winchester 209 primers for me.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've heard this also so I wanted to see for myself. And truth be told, using the same powder/bullet/sabot combo and loading the exact same way the only difference was the std Win 209 primer vs the 209ML primer - I can say that my groups were at minimum 50% tighter(going from a bit over 1 1/2" to almost 1" at 100 yds). Is this one day of shooting conclusive? Absolutely not! It would take me at least 9 more similar results to form an opinion. However, this does give me more confidence and I will probably use the 209ML primers. In fact when Walmart had them for less than 1/2 price, I cleaned them out and got 8 tins.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Breechplug

I'd like to post some pics and add a pic next to my forum name like everyone else does....Thank's Ron (breechplug)
You have to upload your picture(s) to a Web Server. Instructions to post your pictures are here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=2821708

If your trying to put a picture from Cabelas, Midway or anywhere elseon the Internet in your post I have written up instructions here:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/How%20to%20put%20an%20Image%20in%20a%20Post%20on%2 0HuntingNet%20dot%20com.pdf

Here are a few Tips that I have written for Organizing your Computer for hunting, including making PDF copies of important posts:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/Tips%20for%20Organizing%20Hunting%20Content.pdf

You can test placing a post here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=43

Best Wishes,
Chap
Old 01-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

My PERCEPTION was that I had fewer flyers with the ACP conversion, but I can't say it was enough to be a clear answer.

Saying you shot 1-inch groups with 209s means it's not true isn't exactly correct, it's the occasional flyer that is the question. 3-shot groups are not that hard to do and not have a flyer, it's when you shoot several groups in a day that flyers become apparent.

I have no firm opinion on the issue, I did not switch to ACP for accuracy. I did it for the crud ring and ease of manipulation of the primers. I see less (ie no) blowback too.

I've never done it, but I know a buddy of mine forgot to put powder in his Omega, seated a sabot right on the plug. I told him over the phone to pop off a 209 and see what happened. He said the bullet landed about 6 feet away.
Old 01-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

I believe the consensus is that it made little difference in accuracy. while there are some good things about that system the best one is the elimination of blow back on some guns that it is hard to stop the blowback on.
There is two different out fits testing a similar system with large rifle primers, now that's the one I like first of it works well consistently with BH209 secondly it gives a really wide range of choices from the standard large pistol primer to the Magnum large rifle primer. If they don't come out with one soon I intend to use my Omega and pick out one I have thought about trying to turn some 209 shape with a recess that will take the large rifle primer. Lee