Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Season Projects--improving a Cheap Ladder Stand

Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Off Season Projects--improving a Cheap Ladder Stand

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

Thanks Chap for some great ideas! Going to implement them in my ladder stands also
I picked up a nice 2-man ladder stand after season sale at Walmart, and these improvements will be the Bomb
Your welcome. Watch craig's list also for folks selling stands after the season, can get them cheap sometimes. Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

I've thought of doing that too. I also think the seat can be enlarged and put a rail around it. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it though.

Thanks for sharing Chapman!
If you enlarge the seat by placing a piece of plywood on it, then you can make it about 2" wider on each side, but don't make it any wider, since then you will have to make your "Wings" 2" wider and I don't think they would be as safe. To me the seat on the cheap standsis fine,it is the foot room that isthe problem. Some folks have suggested to use a single piece of plywood, hey if your stands are not up yet or your taking them down, then by all means make the wings out of 1 piece of plywood screwed together tow thicknesses and drill a hole for the support to go thru, thatwould make it stronger and safer. Safety is the key. Stronger and safer. I use 3/4 pressure treated plywood, since I fell deck boards and the like sticking out 7" just wouldn't be as strong as two 3/4" plywood stuck together.
Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

i would also consider using the duracoated outdoor deck screws. drywall screws snap too easy and arent weather proof.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: liquidorange

i would also consider using the duracoated outdoor deck screws. drywall screws snap too easy and arent weather proof.
I have not had the a problem with drywall screws, since I paint over top of them with the sand in the paint. However the drywall screws are a better idea, I didn't have any small ones (1.25")to use on the Wings. Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 05:24 PM
Fork Horn

Speaking of locks, When Immoving stands, I carrey some lock de-icer for the frozen locks
Old 01-18-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: burntmuch

Speaking of locks, When Immoving stands, I carrey some lock de-icer for the frozen locks
Yes, that is a good idea, although 3 in 1 or WD40 seems to deice them also. Chap