Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Off Season Projects--improving a Cheap Ladder Stand

Old 01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Off Season Projects--improving a Cheap Ladder Stand

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

ha, you'd never see me in a tree stand. Especially a cheapie that wiggles around. I get a sick feeling just thinking about it.

i prefer ground level on higher ground.
From what I saw of Meeker Colorado with the Oak Brush there are not many trees there that would hold a tree stand. Out west spot and stalk is a great method. Back east, heck I hunt on 17a, 88a, 24a and 35a, so it is not too fun to spot and stalk on those properties.
Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

I've thought of doing that too. I also think the seat can be enlarged and put a rail around it. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it though.

Thanks for sharing Chapman!
I have 2 of these that I bought from Sportsmens Warehouse. I bought 1 first, and with that 1 I bought the camo mesh from them also. When I got it, I had enough of the mesh to do 2 stands, so I went out and bought another frame. They are awesome!

HuntAway,

Your welcome. I bought this one at

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0026443.shtml

Cabelas on sale for $34, just got it a week or so ago. Going out Monday to put it up with my 7 year old grandson. He loves going out with me, walking around the woods,shooting bb gun, etc basically anything having to do with hunting. As for the bigger seat, mine if fine, it is the foot room that is the problem for me. Sproulman has a great idea to put a swivel seat on the top of the seat are and rachet strap it down. Also with the "Wings" your feet are not on super cold metal so your feet stay warmer. This AM it was 3 degrees, here in VA, and I took the pictures and updated my documentation after taking the pictures for the folks on here. Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 09:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap - I believe our friend Chasam is afraid of heights. I like TS but also like still hunting. Each method has its merits and its benefits. I enjoy sitting in a TS in the fall, watching deer, bear, squirrels, grouse, turkeys and other critters right below you without knowing you are there and watching them act naturally and not running for cover.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

I've thought of doing that too. I also think the seat can be enlarged and put a rail around it. Not quite sure how I'm going to do it though.

Thanks for sharing Chapman!
HuntAway,

Your welcome. I bought this one at

http://www.cabelas.com/spodw-1/0026443.shtml

Cabelas on sale for $34, just got it a week or so ago. Going out Monday to put it up with my 7 year old grandson. He loves going out with me, walking around the woods,shooting bb gun, etc basically anything having to do with hunting. As for the bigger seat, mine if fine, it is the foot room that is the problem for me. Sproulman has a great idea to put a swivel seat on the top of the seat are and rachet strap it down. Also with the "Wings" your feet are not on super cold metal so your feet stay warmer. This AM it was 3 degrees, here in VA, and I took the pictures and updated my documentation after taking the pictures for the folks on here. Chap
I saw that one on the computer the other day and almost ordered one. I was concerned on how secure it would be???? If you don't mind, once you get it in the tree, give us a report on your comfort level with it.

Thanks again.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Chap - I believe our friend Chasam is afraid of heights. I like TS but also like still hunting. Each method has its merits and its benefits. I enjoy sitting in a TS in the fall, watching deer, bear, squirrels, grouse, turkeys and other critters right below you without knowing you are there and watching them act naturally and not running for cover.
Didn't think of being afraid of heights.I feel the ladders are very safe with a safety belt and the things that I do to them to strengthen them (the inserts and the stainless bolts/nuts/washers).
Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I saw that one on the computer the other day and almost ordered one. I was concerned on how secure it would be???? If you don't mind, once you get it in the tree, give us a report on your comfort level with it.

Thanks again.
OK, will write up a report and post it. If you read all the products reviews on Cabelas web site most people had problems with installing it with 1 rachet strap. I have a lot of these, and using 1 extra strap to get extra strength is no problem to me. Chap

Old 01-18-2009, 11:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

i was only one in my area could sit in their treestands the first 2 days.

wind was 25 mph.

i saw hunters hanging onto tree swaying in wind here in pa.

i try to find biggest oak or pine i can with my stand.

not only it blocks wind but you dont sway in wind.

idea of 2 trees is fine but when wind blows, unless those 2 trees are real big,you will sway in wind.

this could loosen a ladderstand ,on the lock ons you will get sea sick.

i do like the rail idea, that would elimante for me the belt on tree and offer a rest for my gun and allow me to put up a windbreaker at 10 above using my WOOL BLANKET from woolrich for 21 dollars.
Old 01-18-2009, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

i do like the rail idea, that would elimante for me the belt on tree and offer a rest for my gun and allow me to put up a windbreaker at 10 above using my WOOL BLANKET from woolrich for 21 dollars.
Poly prop long underwear, heavy weight, fleece lined jeans and heavy weight bibs with -100 degree Cabelas boots 1.5 larger than shoe size anda7 layers on top with this hat:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat470076-cat600864-cat470165&id=0057814943411a&navCount=10&am p;podId=0057814&parentId=cat470165&masterp athid=&navAction=push&catalogCode=XJ&r id=&parentType=index&indexId=cat601233&amp ;hasJS=true

allow me to be pretty warm when on stand, even if it is windy. It was 3 degrees on Sat and I stayed 3 hours. I alway carry a back pack with a heat seat in it (so I don't put my but on cold metal)and the above hat. Siting on metal is a very cold deal, so the heat seat is very important. I put this waterproof hat on if it is windy or extremely cold, the face mask is integrated into the hat. Having an umbrella in the backpack also is important so you don't get wet when it is raining or snowing. We all know that the right cloths is very important, all must be waterproof and wind proof, we can't skimp on our cloths for hunting since they are what we wear from Nov til Jan. I have not thought of a wool blanket being use as a wind breaker on the rail, but I think that would work, that should make you warmer.You will have to place a 2nd strap on the rail to make sure it does hold the weight of the rifle and the weight of the blanket.
Chap

Old 01-18-2009, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks Chap for some great ideas! Going to implement them in my ladder stands also
I picked up a nice 2-man ladder stand after season sale at Walmart, and these improvements will be the Bomb
Old 01-18-2009, 03:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LaneNebraska

Thanks Chap for some great ideas! Going to implement them in my ladder stands also
I picked up a nice 2-man ladder stand after season sale at Walmart, and these improvements will be the Bomb
One more idea that I am implementing. I have bought 12 of these brass long shank padlocks all keyed alike

http://www.allpadlocks.com/cgi-bin/ez-catalog/cat_display.cgi?account=X380790;search=26160;searc h=Imported%20%23%3A%2026160;limit=product;v=2.0;pa th=73;layout=system:layout_0100.xsl

so I can use the samekey on each stand. Helps when switching things out and doing maintenance. Take some 3 in 1 oil with you and oil it up good every winter when doing pruning on your stands.
Chap

Quick Reply: Off Season Projects--improving a Cheap Ladder Stand

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.