Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another round @ the dinger Farm

Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default another round @ the dinger Farm

Got my house work done this morning and while Terry was doing her volunteer work at the food bank I headed to the farm.

Cleaned the gun Wednesday after the first round @ Dinger's. I used Hoppes to clean the bore and then as the very last step applied the Montana X-Treme bore conditioner...

On a whim, I swapped out scopes on the Disc - took the Bushnell Elite off and installed the new Loppy Ultimate Slam that I had for 3 months with no place to put it. I wanted to try it out. Laser bore sighted it at home Thursday evening. I set the laser to match the same spot on the wall as the 3200 was hitting - figured this would get me close.

Step up the bench @ the farm - ran one dry patch through the bore(both sides). Shot one primer - dry patched again with the first patch....

Here is a picture of the range - if you look very carefully out there @ 94 yards you will see a very small target board (left of the patch of snow and low. This field was dry peas last year thing it might be spring wheat this year.

Shot the 3 shots @ the 25 yard target and there was not much reason to adjust scope so I changed the target and moved it to 100 yards. Shot 2 shots @ target POI was 4 o'clock low. Adjusted the scope and shot for effect... It was good! - shot 7 more times...

The reticule in the Ultimate Slam is far more busy than the standard ballistic reticule I am use to in the Bushnell. But once I go use to it it actually helped in target alignment when shooting this paper target. So at this time I'll say "I am impressed and I think I like it..." But i think I am more impressed how well that Disc shoots and these Sierras were new to me also. Normally I shoot Hornady's at paper but I like these better. They are a little more expensive than Hornady and a little less than Speer .458's and a heck of lot less expensive than Noslers.

Now the last part of the test... At now time today did I use a damp windex patch to patch the barrel with while shooting. I used one dry patch ( the same one I started the day with) to patch after ever 4 shots. The dry patch never really even felt like it might get stuck. I ran it to the bottom of the barrel and back out. Just not that much fouling. At the end of the day when i packing to leave I ran 3 windex patches. The first patch on the right was #1 - it came out fairly dirty (ran it both sides). The one in the middle was patch #2 and and the one on the left was the last patch which came out fairly clean. Ran a dry patch pcked up and came home to begin the cleaning job. The one patch you see by itself was the single dry patch that I used for the trip.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: anothe round @ the dinger Farm

That there is some very impressive shooting.. what a group. And those patches look good. I want to see how this second outing with the Montana Bore X-treme does for me.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting bet you was happy as a lark.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good Lord that is dandy shooting. Looks like you have a winning rifle/load combo there. I believe congratuations are in order
Old 01-16-2009, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys I was really pleased myself with the way that session turned out. It really is fun when things go well. Just hope I can do it when it really counts...

cayugad

When you get around to shooting one of the guns that you have treated with MX, if you would run an experiment for me. If possible do not run an alcohol patch to strip the bore, but do run a dry patch in the bore (both sides)before you do any shooting. Then touch off your clearing caps/primers - run the same dry patch again. Then load up and shoot one for POI. and just because no two guns are the same see if that same dry patch will run again in the bore. If it does keep using the same patch for several shots. I would like to know what you feel as you are running the patch. After the 5 or 6 shot today I did feel just a bit ruffness right at the breech plug. It certainly it would not interfere with loading or displace your witness mark.

Thanks - mike
Old 01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Dominant Buck

will do.. maybe tomorrow. Its supposed to snow but be warm. A little snow never stopped me.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey sabot you gonna stretch out your distance with that scope and see if it is close to the reticals

Old 01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

hunting junkie

you gonna stretch out your distance with that scope and see if it is close to the reticals
Yes i will eventually - i am not expecting it to match - but I do want to know where they are for the load I shoot.

Probably gonna shoot some sidehammers next... Dave got me off track a little bit with one of his posts. So now I have the itch to pull a hammer back.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:44 AM
tjj
Fork Horn

That sure was some nice grouping. That knight sure does shoot good, oh yeah, the shooter did his part as well. Great shooting, looks like it was a great day to be at the range.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

tjj

Any day at the range is a good day! but this day was very good in more than one department... I did enjoy the outing even when I had to walk through the mud...

Quick Reply: another round @ the dinger Farm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.