Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

another round @ the dinger Farm

Old 01-17-2009, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: another round @ the dinger Farm

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

Cleaned the gun Wednesday after the first round @ Dinger's. I used Hoppes to clean the bore and then as the very last step applied the Montana X-Treme bore conditioner...

Sabotloader
Excellent shooting by the way !!! Do you feel there will be an advantage for us that stirctly use Blackhorn 209 to treat our bores with the Montana X-Treme???
Old 01-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, beautiful. The Sierra really shot well. Again a .458 rifle bullet, not a pistol bullet, with an Orange MMP. What a group for a first outting with that bullet. Great report.
Chap
Old 01-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

revpilot

Do you feel there will be an advantage for us that stirctly use Blackhorn 209 to treat our bores with the Montana X-Treme
I guess I think I do think it might help your bore - probably will not do much for powder fouling, but I would think it would still help condition the bore to be smoother and provide the same amount of friction from the bottom to the top which should lead to better accuracy. Might also reduce the little plastic fouling that MIGHT occur... just thoughts off the top of my head....
Old 01-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap

The Sierra did shoot really well, but I think the better hunting bullet still might be the Speer .458/300 grain Uni-Cor. Dave has shot them from his Genesis with great success (accuracy) and they are a bonded bullet like the Gold Dot - just do not have the dot....
Old 01-17-2009, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: anothe round @ the dinger Farm

Wow- that's some really nice shooting! Great rifle and load combo you have going on- I'd say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it...
Old 01-18-2009, 06:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Sabotloader. I've got a bunch or .458 Remington bullets left over from a bulk buy years ago. I guess I ought to try them in the X7 with orange sabots. They didn't do real well in the Mustang. Have you ever tried to load a .458 in a regular crush rib sabot in the Knight? I see reports of guys doing that.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Semisane.. out of curiosity, I put a Remington .458 405 gr bullet into a .452 sabot. It actually did seat itself fine. The question is would it go down the bore of a rifle. I also tested to see if a 180 grain Barnes Expander .40 caliber for the 45 caliber rifle fits the blue MMP and they fit perfect. So I might try them next time out.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane

Have you ever tried to load a .458 in a regular crush rib sabot in the Knight? I see reports of guys doing that.
The only time I tried that was in the White when BH - the orange sabots were not tight enough. In all the rest of my guns the Orange sabot is tight enough - really snug. I doubt I could get .452 sabot down the Knight, Remington, or the Omega with a .458 in it. And I really prefer shooting a solid if I can over a 'crush rib'