Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rifle Rests

Old 01-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Rests

I shoot with a stick so at the range i shoot with a stick
I like that idea but i have to get the gun shot in perfect, that way the only excuse on the stick is me! But good practice idea for sure.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a cheapo Site Vise from Wal-Mart that holds it better than I can free hand but still doesn't hold it perfectly still. I want something better where I can get it sighted in perfect. Since I'm a perfectionist I can't get it like I want and I can't tell if lousy groups are from me or the vise I'm using. Any recommendations? I also don't have a good steady table to set it on. My options are usually either a card table that wobbles a little or the tail gate of my truck which has ridges in it so is hard to get something to stay still.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:13 PM
Fork Horn

Hometheaterman: Instead of shooting off of the card table or the tailgate why don't you shoot standing up and shoot over the hood of the truck. Use a bag of something like feed corn, kitty litter (AKA Floor Dry), or dog food with a blanket or jacket over the top of it for comfort to support your gun. I have done this with a centerfire but never with a muzzleloader. It works ok as long as the wind isn't blowing or somebody isn't leaning on the truck and moving it around. Granted, that isn't the idel shooting rest but it has to be better than a wobbly card table or scrunching up to a tailgate.

WARNING: If you are shooting a very large caliber rifle do NOT use this method. I watched a guy shoot a 50 cal BMG lik this and it broke his windshield. I have shot a 300 Win Mag over the hood and not had any trouble though.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

muzzlenut

I am late to the party again...

I use the "Rock Jr." on the front and a formed sand bag on the butt of the stock.

I also picked up a portable bench from sportsmans whse. that is really convienent. Certainly not as stable as a solid bench but works well for me in all the places I shoot.

Here is a pic I took this afternoon - not a good one but you can see it somewhat...

Old 01-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: muzzlenut

Hometheaterman: Instead of shooting off of the card table or the tailgate why don't you shoot standing up and shoot over the hood of the truck. Use a bag of something like feed corn, kitty litter (AKA Floor Dry), or dog food with a blanket or jacket over the top of it for comfort to support your gun. I have done this with a centerfire but never with a muzzleloader. It works ok as long as the wind isn't blowing or somebody isn't leaning on the truck and moving it around. Granted, that isn't the idel shooting rest but it has to be better than a wobbly card table or scrunching up to a tailgate.

WARNING: If you are shooting a very large caliber rifle do NOT use this method. I watched a guy shoot a 50 cal BMG lik this and it broke his windshield. I have shot a 300 Win Mag over the hood and not had any trouble though.
I have off the windshield but just found the tail gate easier. My truck is lifted a little. Not a ton but 3" so it's slightly higher than normal and the tail gate while I do have to bend down seemed easier.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Spike

Muzzlenut.
I use leather sand bags on a portable shooting bench.
My shooting bench is a combination of 2 designs. The two sites are:
http://www.aeroaces.com/bench1.htm
http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

I used the leg mounting idea of the 1st site, but used a 2x6 and cut the diagonal between 6" markings instead of 4 1/2" to make the wedges to angle the legs out. I also cut the 1 1/4" pipe to 29" to put the finished top very close to 30 - 31" high. that height allows me to use a 5 gal bucket for a seat, which doubles for carrying supplies to my range site.

I used the general shape of the 2nd site but modified the dementions to be 30" wide at the front and 14" wide at the back. Front to back remains 36". Used 2 layers of 3/4" plywood Which makes for a very sturdy top and is necessary for thickness to screw the leg flanges and wedges to underside of the table. I also like the stability of 3 legs for uneven ground.

I have 5 pics that show detail & finished bench. Check the link.

http://my1.photozig.net/jascoesens/Album1/photopage.html

Now after using this bench for 18 months, There are some changes I would make to reduce the weight.
The bench as pictured weighs ~ 48 pounds w/ legs attached.
1) I would only double the plywood for 9-10" at the front and back for the leg mountings.
2) I would step down to 1 " pipe, which IMO would be plenty sturdy.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

This was at dick's sporting goods.
About $30

It has a couple different attatchments for both front and back

My shooting bench has a rest,sometimes I just use it.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 AM
Spike

I use the MTM shoulder guard rifle rest with a sandbag in the compartment. works relly well for me!

https://www.cabelas.ca/index.cfm?pageID=79&section=&ID=4043