Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rifle Rests

Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Rifle Rests

Two sand bags.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

muzzlenut
I would not say they are the best because what is best for you may not be the same as what is best for me. Never the less the bags you refer to are very good, a couple of tips, never fill the bags up to the point where they don't have a bit of give. Understand that not all guns shoot the same off a rest as they do off hand [this situation can be aggravated by putting some thing solid underneath or behind the gun.
An other thing be sure if you use some sort of rest like sticks you check your "0" with them because they may have a different POI. Lee
Old 01-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Portable shooting bench called the bugger bench, plans found under that name on the net. I have $20.00 in mine that was for the folding table legs and about a quart of OOP's stain.

The rifle rest is a home made one from scrap 2x4 materal and a couple of bolts with 4 nuts. I think I have about $3.00 worth of screws, bolts, nuts and stain in it.
It was to be a proto type for a metel one but it works so well why bother with the medal one?

Dont think this one will post.

Al
Old 01-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use home made shooting sticks too. In todays economey build it your self if you have tools. Screw driver, drill and saw your good to go.

Al
Old 01-15-2009, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

When im testing the accuracy of a rifle or sighting in I use my Caldwell lead sled. Takes most of the human error out. After that I shoot from hunting positions.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Alleyyooper, I really like that shooting bench. I researched it and it is spelled "Booger Bench" and the website is supposed to be boogerbench.com but the site is either down right now or it doesn't exist anymore. No problem though. I think I have everything I need to make one, including the folding table legs. I also think I might be able to add some stuff to it that might improve it like a shelf with a ridge around it that I could pull out whe I'm using it to sit bullets, sabots, powder, cleaning patches, etc. on. Maybe even some type of place to lean other guns so I have them all handy when I am shooting. Which set of handle holes is at the balanced center of the table?

Is that table pretty stable with the folding legs? I was thinking that I might make one with galvanized pipe legs that will screw out for when I am storing it. I think I could put three pipe legs on it and make it pretty sturdy.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yup it is called a booger bench. First it is your eye sight, then it is the short termmemory that goes. I find that the table is stable enough for what I want to do with it. If I were to redo it I would use a 3/4 inch ply wood but impossiable to find scraps of that like I did the OSB. Of course today it would be nearly impossiable to even get the scrap OSB since the building industry is in the crapper too.
I found the rear holes were the balance point. I refused to belive it when I was building it hence the forward holes.

If you add to much stuff to it it isn't going to be as portable and ya might just as well build a strong fixed one.
I throw mine in the truck and take it to the farm to shoot with friends some and always take it to deer camp as there is always some one that needs to use it includeing me.

Al
Old 01-16-2009, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

Your right Al, after I posted I got to thinking about the added weight everytime you put something else on it and I nixed the additions ideas since portability is one of my goals. I think I am just going to build it mostly like what you have there. I think I will go ahead and buy the 3/4 inch plywood though If I don't have a big enough piece already.

You don't happen to remember the dimensions of your table do you?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Try this site for one with legs you talked about.
http://www.larrywillis.com/shootingbench.html

Booger Bench dimension are 18" wide at the back, 32" at the front and 48" long. I can't remember the tail size off the top of my head but think 24", (from the end of the wide to the rear). I would go measure it but am melting wax and don't want to get that far away.

One change I made was to bolt the legs to 1" x 4" boards then use short wood screws to attach the boards to the bench top from the bottom. That way there's no metal on top of the bench that can scratch a gun. One end taks two stacked so the legs fold right (flat).

John has moved the plans so may take awhile to get things up and running.
http://ambrutis.com/john/page10.html

Al

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Alleyyoop. That's the dimensions I was wanting. I just wanted a starting point. I will make a template out of cardboard to customize it so that it fits me. I am a pretty big ole boy so I might need to adjust for that.

Quick Reply: Rifle Rests

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.