Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Triumph Scope Rings

Old 01-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Default Triumph Scope Rings

Hey Forum Members,

I've got a new Triumph and before I run out and buy some scope rings, does anyone have any suggestions as to the height of them? Since there is no hammer spur on the Triumph do I need medium, high or extra high?

Thanks in advance,

GZ
Old 01-15-2009, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Triumph Scope Rings

Medium should work unless you are using a 50 mm objective scope. I use the Talley Medium unit and have a Bushnell 3-9x40 on it and works great
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have some medium I took off mine. They will work but with the Nikon Omega scope it was difficult, and thats with out gloves so I took them off and put some high on.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

The height of your rings is all about how the gun fits you, assuming there are no basic clearance issues as with the Genesis and its cam.

It's a pain to buy and try different ring heights, but if you have a few guns you'll generally know what height you need if you compare the stock designs.

Stocks with more drop can use lower rings. Your typical lever action gun has drop in the buttstock, to put the eyes of your average shooter on the iron sights. A straight buttstock can require higher rings, as the shooter's eyes are higher in relation to the top of the receiver.

You want a good cheek-weld to the buttstock for proper fit. Get that gun pulled in properly with your cheek on the stock. Then without moving your neck or face look into the scope. If you are not lined up, adjust ring heights. I had an 870 with a scope, that required an add-on pad for the buttstock. Even with the lowest mounts I could get, my cheek was floating above the stock. Bear Creek was the MFR I think. Good gun but it's down the road now.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:54 PM
Spike

I just got a triumph as well. I purchased Leupold dual dovetail rings and bases (medium rings). I tried to mount two different scopes and both needed higher rings as they were touching the barrel. The scopes were a Bushnell 3200 4-12X40 and a tasco varmit 2.5-10X42. I got some high rings and they were fine. I believe if you plan on mounting a 3-9X40 scope you would be okay with medium rings on the Leupold dual dovetails. I will say there is not as much room above the hammer even with the high rings.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:21 AM
Fork Horn

Anyone have any opinions on EXTENDED mounts, please advise!!! I also have a Triumph and have made a couple posts with not much response. I'm leaning toward the Talley Medium 1 piece mount but don't know if I need the extended or not. I am mounting a Nikon Omega on her. Guys, please help us new Triumph owners out!!!!!--DrAsus
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

I have Warne QD low rings and a 3-9X40 scope on mine.