Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Shooting before the cold snap hits.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Shooting before the cold snap hits.

Today according to the weather man might be the only half way warm day to shoot as they are calling for an arctic freeze to hit the area with temperatures of possible -30º below. But I will have to see it to believe it.

Today was 12 above and overcast. In fact it was snowing pretty good out there. And a little wind, but nothing a person could not stand. So I loaded up a bunch of "Lane tubes" with 100 grains of Triple Seven 2f and 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and grabbed some 300 grain Hornady XTPs in .452 with some black Harvester crushed rib sabots.

I decided to shoot the traditional mode today. So I grabbed a Thompson Center Black Mountain Magnum off the shelf (it was that or a New Englander), and headed out to the range.

The target was set at 50 yards, and with the over cast sky the fiber optic sights showed up pretty good actually.

I fowled the barrel to be fair and then did a swab with alcohol. I also ran a couple of dry patches and then for safety, popped a musket cap through it, as this has a musket cap ignition.

I started with the Triple Seven 2f powder and was holding 6 o'clock on that back square. The Triple Seven is marked with the blue felt pen. I shot 1&2 and was happy with the group. So I swabbed the barrel with alcohol again, but forgot the dry patches. I also never popped another cap through it. Well #3 was a real old fashion hang fire.

I then shot 4&5 with out swabbing and again it grouped real good. So I swabbed, dry patched, and popped a cap and shot 6&7. I want to admit, I adjusted my POA for 6&7 and that is why they are not in the group. But again, I was only swabbing every second or third sometimes shot. But there was a hard crud ring building in the rifle.

I then switched over to Pyrodex RS 100 grain. I swabbed the barrel clean with alcohol, I dry patched, and popped a cap. #1 hit high and right in the corner of the black square. I was not really shocked by that as I had no idea where they would hit. I was holding a true 6 on the black square.

I then swabbed and shot 2-4 without swabbing. (my fingers get cold when I have to take my gloves off). And the group was very good. But I did notice even with the pyrodex I was getting a good build up. BUT I decided to shoot two more without swabbing. 5&6 starter to move away from the group, and I am almost 100% sure it was because of the fowling.

At least I got a little shooting in before the cold weather hits.. if it is going to.. This Black Mountain Magnum is sure a nice shooting rifle. Looking at the barrel, I would almost swear it is nothing more then a traditional model Black Diamond. It has a 1-28 twist and even the funny breech on the end like the Black Diamond. Also they claim it will shoot pellets. But it does so well with the pre measured "Lanes tubes" that I see no reason to waste my pellet supply. I have other plans for them.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Banned

Default RE: Shooting before the cold snap hits.

That makes 2 of us. Im headed out in about 15-20 minutes Beautiful 48* day.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:19 PM
Dominant Buck

48º WOW!! your summer is long...
Old 01-11-2009, 02:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like a fun day! I know what you are saying about the cold, they are sayiing that on Tuesday, and Wednesdsay of this week, we are suppose to have a high of -4. I dont know what the low is suppose to be.
Old 01-11-2009, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

god u guy's are lucky ,we are up to our armpits with snow and it's only january ..the snow wont melt before the end of april ..
Old 01-11-2009, 02:24 PM
Dominant Buck

heinz.. you're supposed to be up to your arm pits in snow. That's why you live where you do. Actually the snow accumulation is not all that bad this year in the north where I am. If you want, you can keep all that bitter cold up there in Canada and I will not complain at all.
Old 01-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

The wind is the problem in AR this time of year, its supposed to be 54 to 56 with only a 12 mile an hour wind monday here so I will go then. Lee
Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Fork Horn

We have an indoor range at the gun shop here in town. $10/hr is a small price to payto keep you fingers from freezing.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:57 PM
Spike

dang! $28.50usd/hr for an indoor 100yd range for bp shooting.

there is a 50yd outdoor state park that is $8/hr for residents, $10/hr for non-residents (that's me since i live over the river).
Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Nice shooting Dave. You eliminate that hang fire shot and you have all the bullets in a 3x3" square - and that's with 2 different powders. I'd say that rifle will shoot.

Quick Reply: Shooting before the cold snap hits.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.