Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Old 01-10-2009, 01:39 PM
Fork Horn

Default Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

When it comes to black powder, I was shooting Powerbelt bullets. I use them in a CVA Optima Pro - .50 cal. The accuracy is spot on; however, I have been disappointed with the lack of pass through and penetration. Having lost two deer over the prior two seasons, (they ran of w/ no blood trail), I am at the point where I lost confidence in the bullet. Towards the end of the ML season this year, I was letting deer walk, even as close as 50 yards. Time for a change.

To the point, I would like some recommendations for a bullet with good penetration and consistent accuracy for this gun. So far, I have the following four recommendations: 1) Hornady 44cal 240gr HP/XTP bullet; 2) Hornady 45cal 240gr XTP/MAG bullet; 3) Thompson center 50cal mag express sabots 240gr XTP bullets; and 4) and the Thompson center 50cal mag express sabots 230gr XTP. I appreciate your thoughts and comments.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Banned

Default RE: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

they penetrate just fine for me and a lot of others out there. 245-295gr use 80gr powder.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Personally if you want to make sure you stop them, go to a Barnes, Nosler, or even a Speer. I personally like a Hornady .44 caliber 300 grain XTP in a harvester sabot in my rifles. I think with 100 grains of powder and that bullet it will flatten a deer. But the deer in my area refuse to cooperate unless I am walking around with an old roundball shooter.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

The bullets you mention will all do better than what you were using, I have tried them, I have taken a lot of deer with XTP's I have even taken a few with PB's did not care for the problems that went with them though. I have taken to using the 250 Gold Dot it has given me excellent results out to 150 yds, I have one place I hunt where 200 to 225 yd shots are common there I use SW's 250 gr for deer. Try all the ones you like best and use the one that shoots best in your gun. Lee
Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

vadeer

The accuracy is spot on; however, I have been disappointed with the lack of pass through and penetration.
AMEN... Shoot them only if you have to.

The suggestions that Cayugad offered are excellent choices. I would lonlt change the order - Nosler Partition HG's, A variet of different Barnes, and the Speer Gold Dot which is often overlooked in favor of the XTP's.

I shoot Noslers for hunting and since they are so expensive - I shoot the Speers for range work and practice. I shoot a .458/300 grain (45-70)Nosler Partiton Protected Point for elk and the .451/260 grain Nosler Partition HG for deer. I callthe Speer Gold Dots a 'poor man's Nosler' as they are a bonded Uni-Cor bullet with dot in the lead that stops expansion at a certain point but allows the bullet to continue penetrating.

Cayugad found an excellent bullet also that I did not know about about. A .458/300 grain Special Purpose projectile built for the Marlin 45-70.

The next thing will to be to find the correct thickness of sabot to fit your gun.... maybe the Harvester Short black/MMP HPH-24 or if they are to tight the Harvester Crush Rib or the MMP HPH-3p-EZ...

Good luck....
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you need/want to stay with a conical, the Hornady FPB has been doing well in my guns and others. I took an elk with one this fall, she went about 50 yards. It is 350 grains though, so some of the suggestions are good ones if you want a smaller projectile.
Old 01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

i moved a long time ago ...went to HORNADY SST very accurate on paper at 100yds, on deer no thank you ..BARNES TMZ .250 gr. all the way [i like a good blood trail ]
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornaday XTP's are pretty accurate for me. They're great to shoot for range work because they are cheap. But I will be using Barnes T-EZ's for hunting. Either of those bullets would be good for deer. I just like the weight retention characteristics of the T-EZ and the way it expands with the razor sharp pedals for maximum damage.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

they penetrate just fine for me and a lot of others out there. 245-295gr use 80gr powder.
X2
Old 01-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Personally if you want to make sure you stop them, go to a Barnes, Nosler, or even a Speer. I personally like a Hornady .44 caliber 300 grain XTP in a harvester sabot in my rifles. I think with 100 grains of powder and that bullet it will flatten a deer. But the deer in my area refuse to cooperate unless I am walking around with an old roundball shooter.
Shoot whatever you want for fun,but when deer season rolls around,use the best bullets made for the job. All 3 of these are good choices. I shoot Noslers. if they were $2 each I would still use them,I just do not practice with them.A deer is worth a dollar to me,losing a deer is just too much to take. If you want to shoot cheap,try some Berry's

Charlie

Quick Reply: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.