Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Old 01-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

I emailed CVA to inquireon barrel specifications and "tightness." CVA declined to providespecificationsor to rate their barrels. Instead theyrecommendedthat I use the following sabot in my gun. Anyone have any experience with these - Slick-Load™Sabots?

Cabela's has them for$22 at 15 count. Reviewsread well.
http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0049036216422a.shtml

The one we recommend is the slick load sabot

Slick-Load™Sabots
AC1563 -.50 cal., 250 Grain
AC1564 -.50 cal., 300 Grain
15 Pack $27.95
Horizontal flutes make it the easiest loading sabot and provide a better gas seal while holding the sabot securely in the barrel.
[/align]

Old 01-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

i cant see paying prices for bullets today.then shipping on it, I WOULD NOT DO IT.

i got 5 pks of 295 powerbellts,20 in pk for 11.99 EA.NOW THEY ARE OVER 20 DOLLARS WITHOUT SHIPPING, NUTS......

buti bought them all 3 yrs ago.

i only use them in deer season and only shoot about 3 to make sure my gun is sighted in.

i use rb for practice and if prices keep going up,i am going to use rb for deer.

but, i figure i got enough powebelts to last me over 20 yrs or more, by then, i will not be hunting anymore.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure a Power Belt will take a thin skinned deer broadside at medium distance and do a decent job if you don't over load it.
For me that's not the problem, I live in the hills of AR, if opportunity knocks a 400 pound wild boar that has a heavy shield over his ribs and likely an angled shot on top of it or a nice big black bear with heavy fur and a tough hide. I have been charged before and I want some thing I can depend on for a certain amount of penetration if I am forced to take a head on shot. I use Gold Dots and SW and I used to use XTP [and still have several hundred in my bullet cabinet] I think that a person has to take all the possibilities into consideration when they chose what bullet to carry in a muzzle loader. How would you like to have an animal some body else wounded charge at you and have a Power Belt with 75 gr up the spout? Lee
Old 01-24-2009, 12:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Sure a Power Belt will take a thin skinned deer broadside at medium distance and do a decent job if you don't over load it.
For me that's not the problem, I live in the hills of AR, if opportunity knocks a 400 pound wild boar that has a heavy shield over his ribs and likely an angled shot on top of it or a nice big black bear with heavy fur and a tough hide. I have been charged before and I want some thing I can depend on for a certain amount of penetration if I am forced to take a head on shot. I use Gold Dots and SW and I used to use XTP [and still have several hundred in my bullet cabinet] I think that a person has to take all the possibilities into consideration when they chose what bullet to carry in a muzzle loader. How would you like to have an animal some body else wounded charge at you and have a Power Belt with 75 gr up the spout? Lee
man, where can i sign up for that

we only have COUGARS and i am planning on throwing gun in brush when one of those babys come at me, its going be knife ,for sure.

jerimaiah sproulman
Old 01-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

Match your bullet to the game. 400lb hog would be the elk bullet - 338+ grain. Why use a tiny bullet and take a chance?

I plan on a buffalo hunt some years down the road and i'll be using a patched round ball. Now if you are worried about a hog chasing you.... .
Old 01-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great point Lemoyne - too many options for me to consider the limitations some popular bullets have.

Steve