Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Old 01-22-2009, 06:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

100gr triple 7 loose with the 245 and a 50 yard shot i KNOW it didnt stay together. You could see what they do with a 90gr pyrodex rs charge and a sand bucket 50 yards away.
but in a flintlock, open sights at 75 yd shots, pb if heavy enough is great.

use the heaviest one you can or close, like 295/348 in .50 cal.

in-lines I WOULD NEVER USE PB,flintlocks at medium speed, ONE GREAT BULLET TO USE.

NO RECOIL, LESS SMOKE, LESS NOISE,EASY TO LOAD AND VERY ACCURATE AND WILL OPEN UP AT MEDIUM CHARGES.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Banned

inline,flinter,percussion. it doesnt matter what they are shot out of. The powder charge is what causes the bullet to fly out of the barrel. I do all of my bullet testings, 245-295-270 and 300gr in a cva mountain rifle and the bigger 348+ in a cabelas hawken.

Both the TC Omega and CVA Optima i had, shot the 295,348 and 405 with 80gr Pyrodex RS. I tried 90 and 100gr with the 405's and just about crapped myself. Not my kind of recoil!! Even the 348's hurt with 90gr. Recoil is not a comfortable thing to deal with out in the field.

Surprisingly the 275gr .45s can hold a stiffer charge than the 295gr 50cal Powerbelt.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

FG

These are the Power Punch Bullets that Doc shows on his web site...

Is this the bullet you are talking about? I has a copper tinted gas seal - it was added to clean the barrel as it traveled up the barrel... It is not plastic and it certainly is not an elongated round ball...

Here is the web site...

http://www.whitemuzzleloading.com/images/whiterifles/white_bullets.htm

Old 01-22-2009, 06:41 PM
Banned

no these had a baby blue gas check that reminded me of the powerbelt. Ive seen them before at the sportsmans guide in denver but that was 3-4 years ago.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

When using 80 grn or less of powder, I go with a Bullshop or No Excuses conical.
Less then 50 cents each and devastating results from 5 to 150yds plus.

For higher charges, if slightly more recoil can be tolerated ( I never notice recoil when shooting in the field at game),I use the Nosler Partitions.
Again no limitations ( taken deer from 10yds to 170 and have yet to recover a bullet)
and cost the same or probably less then the PB's that seem to require a much narrower set of conditions.

JMO
Steve
Old 01-23-2009, 06:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MountainDevil54

inline,flinter,percussion. it doesnt matter what they are shot out of. The powder charge is what causes the bullet to fly out of the barrel. I do all of my bullet testings, 245-295-270 and 300gr in a cva mountain rifle and the bigger 348+ in a cabelas hawken.

Both the TC Omega and CVA Optima i had, shot the 295,348 and 405 with 80gr Pyrodex RS. I tried 90 and 100gr with the 405's and just about crapped myself. Not my kind of recoil!! Even the 348's hurt with 90gr. Recoil is not a comfortable thing to deal with out in the field.

Surprisingly the 275gr .45s can hold a stiffer charge than the 295gr 50cal Powerbelt.
try shooting a 370 maxi-ball at 90/100 grs in 50 cal, ouch

that is why i like the 295 pb ,i can load it at 70/80 grs in my .50 cal flintlock and it will open nicely on a buck.

its great, no recoil, less smoke, less flinching,less noise,easy to load at 5 above with wind blowing and cold fingers,accurate and opens real good on buck under 100 yds which is all i shoot with open sights.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:02 AM
Banned

yup, less recoil = less flinching in the field.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vote for the Barnes Expander TEZ in 250 grain or 300 grain.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think Powerbelts can be great when used properly. As it's been said, you have to really watch how fast you push them. For most of the PB line, 80 grains of powder is about max (unless you're shooting a heavier grain Platinum).

My cousin over Christmas told me how he had shot a doe during gun season with a 245 grain PB and 150 grains of Pyrodex at a distance of 20 yards. He said the entrance hole was the size of a football and the bullet had literally expoded inside the ribcage. No pass-thru of course, but it did destroy the heart and drop the deer instantly. I guess he was happy with it - I sure wouldn't be.... what if you had an angled shot or had to shoot through bone??? You'd have a wounded deer that will never be recovered and die slowly.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

like ROOSTER COGBURN said to TEXAN,too much gun..........

most hollow points will blow up at fast speeds.

i would never use PB with hollow point in a IN-LINE at anything over 80 grs as you said..

heaviest one is best also

Quick Reply: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.