Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Old 01-18-2009, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Heres the weight of the spitfire 245gr. 100% weight retention, bullet was cleaned.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I do wish that we would hear from the moderator on the original subject. I would also be nice if we could have a survey of what people had faith in where bullets are concerned. Rated as in the group that causes the needed results and in a middle group that a few people have problems with and then the group that a lot of people have had problems with. Could also rate them as the most accurate and the best long range. Personally I would rate the all copper the partition and the gold dot in the group with the best terminal results, the SW as the most accurate especially at long range and the PB's as causing the most lost deer[ its not that they wont kill a deer at the proper range for 75 gr and so forth its that people expect to be able to shoot them with any load that's accurate and they will shoot accurate with enough powder to make the detonate. Lee
I sent a message in the "Contact US Feedback" section. Told them what we wanted to do.
Chap
Old 01-18-2009, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

when i tried to send info on this, mods would not except it.

hope they can do it.

we have it at our hondashadow forum and its nice if you want to see what is best/worst oils, you just click at top,gives you like 50 pages of people and tests done just on OILS.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

when i tried to send info on this, mods would not except it.

hope they can do it.

we have it at our hondashadow forum and its nice if you want to see what is best/worst oils, you just click at top,gives you like 50 pages of people and tests done just on OILS.
Right, they may not want to keep all the content up a long time, so they would not want to do it.
I have a Web site, and if people will capture the whole thread to PDF when it is done, I can place it on my web site. Of course they (Hunting Net.com) would have to place a link at the top to my site and I am sure that they will not want to do that. I am not a Web developer either, so my site is not pretty, just basic links and pictures with content. I tend to sta with PDF when I want to make things pretty.
PrimoPDF will append multiple page threads into a single PDF, see this link for how to do that:

http://www.the-gleasons.com/Tips%20for%20Organizing%20Hunting%20Content.pdf

Chap
Chap
Old 01-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Spike

I really like the TC 300 XTP Mags with 100 grs of PP. They have worked great for me for years. No trackin thats forsure!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

I see I am not the only one experiencing this problem with powerbelts. I am sure that had I not had the experience to tell the deer was hit I would've looked on the ground for a bit and thought it was a miss. I have shot probably 4 deer now with Powerbelts that didn't bleed a drop for about 30 yds or so. After that just slight drops and then finally it poors out, but the cavity of the deer is full of blood as well. No pass throughs and found some bullet fragments inside. I shoot 100 grains of T7 with a 245 gr copper series hp.
I think I am going to switch to Barnes or Hornady. Good luck guys!!
Old 01-22-2009, 05:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: mnprohunter

I see I am not the only one experiencing this problem with powerbelts. I am sure that had I not had the experience to tell the deer was hit I would've looked on the ground for a bit and thought it was a miss. I have shot probably 4 deer now with Powerbelts that didn't bleed a drop for about 30 yds or so. After that just slight drops and then finally it poors out, but the cavity of the deer is full of blood as well. No pass throughs and found some bullet fragments inside. I shoot 100 grains of T7 with a 245 gr copper series hp.
I think I am going to switch to Barnes or Hornady. Good luck guys!!
in my flintlock, i really like the 295/348 pb.

i like it because i can LOAD DOWN, not up and bullet opens up nice..

hawkins .50 cal flintlock,80 grs 2f.

push a powerbelt fast, problems happen.

heck, its hollow point bullet not made to go fast.

most hollowpoint will do as you say at fast speed,enter one side and blow up.

push it slow, you will be fine.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:56 PM
Banned

with the 245 AT 80gr is max load for it.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

I agree hole hartidly with the original post about Powerbelts not penetrating through and no good blood trail. I have shot plenty of deer now with Powerbelts and often hunt in the snow where blood is easy to see. If I didn't know the deer's body language and could tell they were hit, I would've assumed I had missed. But that wasn't the case. After about 30 yards or so of tracking along I could finally bump into specks of blood. Then I would finally find a good blood trail! Disappointing for sure. The bullets fragment as well. I shot a spike buck this season through the lungs and found pieces of the bullet when cleaning the deer. Interestingly, they bullet did not pass through at 50 yards behind 100gr of T7 powder either. And the deer ran about 60 yards, which I could see from my stand. So I went to where I shot to see if there was blood. None for about 30 yards as usual! Up by the deer, plenty, in the body cavity...plently....Barnes or Hornady here I come!
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
Banned

100gr triple 7 loose with the 245 and a 50 yard shot i KNOW it didnt stay together. You could see what they do with a 90gr pyrodex rs charge and a sand bucket 50 yards away.

Quick Reply: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.