Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Old 01-12-2009, 08:17 PM
Banned

Default RE: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Marketing classes would be a good idea. The cva logo just looks good on my banner, nothing else to put in that spot!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

ccording to people i hve spoken to the fpb is gret i shoot with them but have not killed anything but paper with it yet the accuracy is about 1.75 inches at 100 with my cva with 100 grains of powder
Old 01-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Fork Horn

A huge amount of information and suggestions. Thanks! On Chapman’ssuggested reading of http://randywakeman.com/MuzzleloadingWithBarnes.htm I got to thinkingabout the “Sabot fit is important” statement coupled with “Unfortunately, many manufacturers have never read Lyman's, or don't care to have consistent or uniform tolerances.” and :

TIGHT .50 Calibers (Thompson-Center, and others .4995 in. -.5015 in. barrels)
MID-RANGE BORES (Knight, some imports, others .5015 -.5025 in. barrels)
LARGER-BORES (.5025 in. - .5035 in.)

I seem to recall reading on this sight that the CVA Optima Pro’s barrels are considered "tight."Can I, therefore, assume that a Harvester Crush Rib or the MMP HPH-3p-EZ are appropriate?
Old 01-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

vadeer

I would tend to agree with you that the Optima is considered a tight bore. I have no forst hand evidence of that other discussions with other owners trying to find the right sabot.

It would be my suggstion to start with those sabots you listed, if they both go down the bore OK then choose the tighter of the two. If they go down with less than two hand pressure on the rod - then I would suggest you try a Harvester Short Black or a MMP HPH-24.

Old 01-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Banned

well i had the optima and an mmp-24 sabot with a 240gr xtp gave me a 6" group @ 100 yards. I went to the mmp-12 with the same bullet and my first 2 shots were touching and the 3rd was an inch and a half low of the group.

cva's tend to be in the .501 to .502" area. Or at least the ones i have owned have been.

240gr XTP in the black mmp-24 sabot and i forget if this was 100 or 110gr pyrodex P.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 5 CVA ML's and I shoot nothing but the TC 240gr. XTP Mag's, they shoot great out of CVA's and talk about devestating, they drop deer in there tracks! Some exit holes are big enough to put my fist in. They are easy loading cheap and accurate. I shoot 1 1/2" groups at 150 yds in my CVA ACCURA. Cabela's has em in the 30 pack with sabots for $13.99 I have NEVER lost a Deer using them. You wont be Dissapointed. Powerbelts, No
Old 01-17-2009, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

vadeer

I would tend to agree with you that the Optima is considered a tight bore. I have no forst hand evidence of that other discussions with other owners trying to find the right sabot.

It would be my suggstion to start with those sabots you listed, if they both go down the bore OK then choose the tighter of the two. If they go down with less than two hand pressure on the rod - then I would suggest you try a Harvester Short Black or a MMP HPH-24.
+1. Excellent advice to use the tighter of the two. Many folks take the breech plug out of their gun andthen push a bullet thru the bore with different sabots. In this way you can figure out what sabot works best in your gun with your particular bullet of choice. You must figure out what is "just right tight".Justright tight is not so tight that you have to pound thesabot and bullet down the barrel or notso loose that you can push it down with 1 hand.Just right tight is two hand with about 30 to50 lbs of force to get the bullet down the barrel. Can't tell30 to 50 lbs of force? Place your gun butt on a bathroom scale, push a bullet down with your sabot, watch the scale, when your pushing itdown it should peak somewhere, that should be between 30 and 50 lbs.
Chap
Old 01-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vadeer

A huge amount of information and suggestions. Thanks! On Chapman’ssuggested reading of http://randywakeman.com/MuzzleloadingWithBarnes.htm I got to thinkingabout the “Sabot fit is important” statement coupled with “Unfortunately, many manufacturers have never read Lyman's, or don't care to have consistent or uniform tolerances.” and :

I seem to recall reading on this sight that the CVA Optima Pro’s barrels are considered "tight."Can I, therefore, assume that a Harvester Crush Rib or the MMP HPH-3p-EZ are appropriate?
Barnes TSX 45843 45/70 bullet compared to a Barnes PBX 275g pistol bullet.

Chap

Old 01-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: vadeer

Barnes TSX 45843 45/70 bullet compared to a Barnes PBX 275g pistol bullet.

Chap

Here is howthat Barnes45/70 TSX 300g Flat Nose bullet shot in my MLer.Doesn't look like
a "flat nose" does it, it is exactly like a .452 Barnes MZ MLer bullet.
Chap

Old 01-17-2009, 08:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

i like pictures of bullets and how they shoot out of different guns..
maybe we could start a topic at top of forum that would stay there for all to see when they want..

i think you guys that do a lot of testing etc need a place for these photos and info .

cayugad,chap, sabot others always have pictures and info.

would be nice to have that info quick at TOP so it can be obtained.

maybe someone can do this, i dont know yet how to put a picture onhere or i would start it.

Quick Reply: Moving away from Powerbelt bullets; Need recommendations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.