Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis & Hornady FPB's

Old 01-09-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Genesis & Hornady FPB's

I had given the Genesisa Bore Treatment yesterday and also pulled the scope and put it back on to see if it would return to zero. Then I remembered this was not Weaver QR mounts.These were plain old Traditions rings. But they looked like the Weaver QR rings in almost every detail. So I was real concerned I might have messed things up. But was glad to see the Genesis shot just about the same spot with the Thompson Center 1x32mm scope.

I started out with 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the .44 caliber Hornady XTP in the green Crushed Rib sabots. On a clean barrel it threw the first one as I really did not think I flinched. Then I swabbed and shot, then shot without swabbing. The two times I did not swab are real apparent. Although it grouped very well with the swabbed barrel. For 50 yards and a 1 power scope, I was kind of happy.

Then I actually had to take the rifle into the house. The windex I was using in a pump spray bottle froze and would not work anymore. So I went in the house and swabbed the barrel clean so I could test some of the 350 grain Hornady FPB's. With a clean barrel I headed back out. Again, I was shooting 100 grains of Pyrodex RS and that 350 grain conical.

The first shot kind of surprised me when it hit as high as it did. So I did not swab but loaded again. Loading was not all that hard except for the last inch, you had to push a little hard to make sure it was seating on the powder charge. I then fired four more without swabbing. The last one, #5 was kind of hard to seat. So instead of going back in the house and cleaning the barrel, I called it quits for the day. After all, I had a couple rifles to clean and had my fun...

These FPB's I notice need to be centered over the muzzle real well and then a sharp rap on the short starter puts them right into the bore with little effort. After that they go down pretty easy. I want to do a lot more testing with these.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Genesis & Hornady FPB's

Interesting. Discounting the first "clean" FPB, looks like 2" at 50. Not so bad considering the elements and no swabbing. I'm sure you'll find the sweet-spot with the load in no time.

I figured you couldn't resist those FPBs for too long.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is some good shooting.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

Good report. If you went out in 12 degree weather I guess I have no excuse.

Should be around 20 degrees tomorrow. Want to shoot that new .45 Accura.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually it was -19º below last night. When I went out it had just turned 8º but was warming up. Those FPB's I think show some promise. Are you supposed to swab between shots with them or not?
Old 01-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report as ususal Dave. I would always swab.I am of the opinion that "You're going to hunt with a clean barrel so you should shoot / sight in with one." I know you really like tinkering but why would you want to go with the FPBs when the XTPs shoot so good?
Shooting in 12*- yikes. I'm gonna wait until it gets above freezing anyway.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dave, two of my inlines do not have QLA so while I was playing I worked out a system to make loading the FPB a bit easier.
I measure the bore size of the gun I will be using and add 5 thou. take a drill that size and bore a hole in a brass block, I bevel the top of the hole and shove the FPB's I will shoot through that hole. It squeeze's the FPB just enough so that they are able to start on the taper of the crown of the barrel but are still as tight to hold on to the barrel as that would be any how. Lee
Old 01-09-2009, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

The Genesis has a strange false muzzle. While the FPB goes into the bore's false muzzle, it rests on a lip of sorts inside the bore. So I would center the conical upright and then give it a good slap and knock it in the bore.
Old 01-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

What's with the craze over these FPB's? Is it just because they're new?
Old 01-09-2009, 06:42 PM
Dominant Buck

They remind me of a Shockwave Conical... I have a lot of rifles to try them in.

Quick Reply: Genesis & Hornady FPB's

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.