Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

.450 bullet too loose?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .450 bullet too loose?

Anybody shoot lead bullets in sabots? Would a .450 bullet in a .451/.452 sabot, be too loose?
Old 01-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: .450 bullet too loose?

you'd actually have to try loading one for the answer. In some real tight bores, if you used a standard sabot, you might be all right. Like I said, you'd have to try them.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

It will work fine in almost all TC bores in a few of the others you might have to use the thicker than standard sabot in just a few with over size bores you might have to paper patch them but its not likely. Lee
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys
Old 01-03-2009, 08:29 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DeerandbearhoG

Anybody shoot lead bullets in sabots? Would a .450 bullet in a .451/.452 sabot, be too loose?

Yes to your first question. and Most times Yes to the second part.

I have been shooting my .450 sized 45 cal maxi balls with BH209 (cast of pure lead) to get a tighter sabot fit I knurl the Maxi's rolling them between 2 files. I can easily get them to .457. and that is what I need to get a good fit being the Maxi's have such a small driving band area.

I also Knurl Hornady .430 240 grain swaged SWC to get them to .435, then they are just right tight with a regular Harvester or MMP green sabot (60 to 70 lbs to seat). My Cast .430 pistol bullets just havn't done well for me accuracy wise and i believe it is due to the bearing surface being broken up with the lube groves. The sharp sguare corners on the base of them also makes it dificult to seat sguarley in some sabots. I had the old Hornady swages Bullets from 30 yrs ago before I started casting. The 45 maxi's have done great but are a problem to get consistantly tight. I have sent a prelimanary order to LBT for a .454-300-LFN-BB smooth sided, to shoot in sabots with BH209 and to use in our 10MLIIs.

For best accuracy I find that I need 40 to 60 pounds of seating pressure to load the saboted lead or jacketed bullet. That is for consistant accuracy and Ignition using BH209 in my Knight T-bolt , I do not swab between shots and have fired more than half a box of 209 between cleenings and find that a fouled bore of BH209 loads easier than a Sceeky clean barrel.

If you get a chance pick up a pack of TC's cheap shots, they are lead in sabot, they load tight in all our guns and shoot great.

I am no longer a fan of a Condom rapped bullet, IMHO definatly see no need of a Hollow Point in a Hunting Bullet.

Ken
Central NY
Old 01-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks screwbolts, But what is a condom wrapped bullet? If you mean sabots , I however, am restricted 45 cal sabot in my savage, as Ive heard conicals dont work in my gun. I was actually thinking of getting a LEE Mini ball mold and cast my own, they have a .450 & a .454 in 300gr which would be better in a MMP or harvester sabot?

I may try the cheapshots though, do you think the cheap shots will hold up at 2200 fps?

...nevermind, I just checked, and the cheap shot are a 44cal bullet, again no good for a savage.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:37 PM
Fork Horn

Them would be what none bullets casters refer to as Jacketed bullitz.

All the Cheap Shots that I have seen and shot were with .452 bullets and a short black sabot, looked just like the standard short MMP.

My brother has shot a lot of cheap shots from a 10MLII
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh ,Ok , I only went to midsouth's site, and they only had 44cal cheap shots, unless I read it wrong? Ill go to TCs site. How did the cheap shots do on deer shot from a savage? Are they a harder led? Seems like a soft lead hollow pt would dissinigrate hittin a deer at those speeds.

Went to TC site,they dont specify if the cheap shots are 44 or 45, just that there 240gr, just like the ones midsouth sells, but those are 44. Be cool if they were .451 , 5$ for 20, thats a hundred for 25$!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Some of the Cheap Shots, maybe older ones were not all HP, they did quite well then, that was before the Savages. We haven't shot any at Deer w/ the Savages, they have been for just cheap shooting. I have shot the green sabots with .430 swaged lead SWC from Savages with 40 grains of SR4759, they did quite well on paper.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a bunch of 240gr .429 bullets and green sabots, left over from my old gun, I wanted to try them in the savage, but I always heard the 1-24 twist didnt stabilize them well. I think Im gonna try em anyway just to see for myself, since there just collecting dust anyway.

Quick Reply: .450 bullet too loose?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.