Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

bullets continued

Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Spike

Default bullets continued

After reading the thread on fragmentation I hateto itsay but I'm as confused as ever. I'm only in my second year with a muzzle loader and was going to try the Nosler Partition 300g XTP over 100g of BH209. I want a bullet that fragments very little but expands and gives me a pass through. I don't want to start an argument but what bullets in particular do hold together and perform well on marginal shots?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bullets continued

That nosler will expand perfect and not fragment. I think you will be real happy with it.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loadbreak

After reading the thread on fragmentation I hateto itsay but I'm as confused as ever. I'm only in my second year with a muzzle loader and was going to try the Nosler Partition 300g XTP over 100g of BH209. I want a bullet that fragments very little but expands and gives me a pass through. I don't want to start an argument but what bullets in particular do hold together and perform well on marginal shots?
The Nosler Partition 300g is an excellent bullet that hold together very well. There are two Noslers, the Nosler HG 300g:

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0011545350

and the 300g Nosler Rifle Bullet:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/item-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat602007-cat20843&id=0009895213950a&navCount=2& podId=0009895&parentId=cat20843&masterpath id=&navAction=push&catalogCode=IJ&rid= &parentType=index&indexId=cat20843&has JS=true

I use the HG (Hand Gun) for deer. Sabotloader uses the 260g Rifle bullet for deer. The HG is .451 diameter, the rifle bullet is .458 diameter.

This Nosler Partition was shot into a 6 point buck at 50 yards in the brisket facing me, I found it under the hide in the rear leg of the deer. It shot the whole length of the deer, expanded perfectly and was the only one I ever recovered, all the rest shot thru deer. The 300g always shoot thru deer (broadside), the 240 and 260g sometimes shoot thru.
Chap

Old 01-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

loadbreak

I shoot Nosler Partitions and have shot them for several decades... they are a great bullet... problem is you relly do not get a chance to recover to many...

The 50 cal Noslers are designed to espand to .75/.80" - down to the partition and then continue to penetrate. They are designed to open in fleah as well as bone. It is a well know fact that they have a greater expansion range than most any other bullet. Not ony do they well and penetrate they do cause a tremendous amount of 'hydrostatic' or hydraulic' pressure that causes the delicate vital organs to explode and change to 'jello'

Here is a picture of a .458 Nosler recovered from an elk. i estimated (I am terrible at it) but I estimated close to 200 yards - it lasered right @ 180.

This is a .452/260 grain Nosler recovered from a stump behind where I shot a whitetail...

If you look at both bullets you can see the long bullet shank loaded with lead that keeps the bullet driving until expends all of it's energy or exits the animal.... and most of the it will.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:45 PM
Spike

Thanks cayugad and chap. I didn't realize thatthere were two types. I'm assuming you would chose one over the other depending on the velocities that your'e shooting?Would the .458 rifle bullet take a specialsabot to fit down an Omega barrel?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:50 PM
Spike

Thanks Sabot Loader, that is an awesome looking bullet and exactly what I'm looking for. Is the 300g overkill for deer?
Old 01-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

loadbreak

No, it really isn't - but in the terrain that I hunt in I really do need the 300 to reach out that extra yardage. The 260 works great for me to 175 yards - but more importantly it works just as well at 10 yards when shooting a thin-skinned whitetail. The .458/300 grain Nosler is really a stronger bullet and can get in and out of a deer before it really can expand a whole lot when shot at very close ranges. After 50 yards it works just fine and past 175 it probably works better than the 260. I really so not see a lot of difference in the the .451/300 Nosler and the .458/300 Nosler - they are both Partition and they are both Protected Points... almost flat nosed. The 260 is a HP, but the nose is really well designed....

Amoung the rifles that I shoot is an Omega - it is an older one with a .502 bore so the MMP HPH-.487/.458-50 Orange sabot works very well in it. If you have a really tight bored newer Omega you may have to use the .451 Nosler.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: loadbreak

Thanks cayugad and chap. I didn't realize thatthere were two types. I'm assuming you would chose one over the other depending on the velocities that your'e shooting?Would the .458 rifle bullet take a specialsabot to fit down an Omega barrel?
Yes, a Harvester Crushed Rib sabot works for the .458 bullets or .452 bullet. Sabotloader likes the Orange MMP for his .458 300g bullets.
Chap
Old 01-02-2009, 06:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are an excellent bullet, the only problem with them is the price. There are a quite a few good bullets for deer its the bigger game that I believe needs a careful choice. Lee
Old 01-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I managed to pull one out of a buck I shot with a 20 ga. They're Nosler Partitions 260 gr and I think they are .458 cal. This one passed through a hard 1/4'ing away deer through the paunch, liver, lungs and was found in the off leg. Range 30 yds. Ballasticly I think they are pretty close to a 110 gr 2fT7 load.

Quick Reply: bullets continued

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.