Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

25 ACP or 209 primers?

Old 01-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default 25 ACP or 209 primers?

I would like to say after being on this blog for a couple of weeks now I'm very impressed with the people on this sight! Seems as though there are some real shooter and I have learned alot all ready.

I would like some opinions on 25 APC and 209 primers, does the 25 improve the T/C's shooting like they claim?

I had good results with 777 and 777 primers, but don't have that much ML experience to go on.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 25 ACP or 209 primers?

I never saw the need to go to the 25acp because the primers worked so good for me. Some guys use them and like them. I thought they were going to that because they were getting hard crud rings from Triple Se7en.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:57 PM
Fork Horn

I was getting a small amount of build up but I also clean between every shot and would still do that, I'm pretty happy with the 777 powder and primers maybe I'll try one some day but I think for now I'm going to stick with what works. Ive got a lot of other things to learn about ML shooting yet
I have always hunted with a bow but do to nerve problems in my arms I just don't have hat it takes to stay up to par on my shooting skills so I figured ML would be the next best thing.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

BIG.PAUL

I use a 25acp in my Omega - because it is so much cleaner - no blow back at all. I see no real difference in accuracy.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:01 PM

I am like Sabotloader... much cleaner. I swab between shots but the breech is way cleaner and ALSO the area outside the breech... barrel area and even the underside of the scope is no longer covered in yuck after a day of shooting. I have shot Encore over 900 times... 400+ with 209 primer and 400+ times with .25 acp. For me its a no brainer... it was a great conversion and worth the money. Most guys that say its not worth the trouble to try it have NOT tried it themselves. The FACT is 209 primers are DIRTY... guys just get used to it. I never got used to it. I went through a couple of 209 Breech plugs during the time I shot them. The 209's are HARD on them. The .25acp don't put out hardly any energy compared to the 209 and thats where you will save your breech plugs and also it cuts the grime down by 90%.

Does it allow for better accuracy?... I am not positive because I also had a trigger job done and now have a 2# trigger and my groups narrowed WAY down, but I am not sure if it was from both changes or just one. I was seeing "flyers" on a regular basis before... now they are extremely rare.

If you are not going to shoot very much and are using your ML for hunting then stick with the 209. I went to the .25acp because I would go to the range and shoot between 20-40 shots in a "sitting". The amount of grime and cleaning was terrible with the 209.... now its no worse then if I would have shot 2 or 3 shots with the 209's. Hope that makes sense.

good luck!
Old 01-02-2009, 06:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went to 25ACP in my Omega due to the crud ring. Yes, it got rid of the crud ring, but there are more benefits.

I did not see enough of an accuracy advantage to know for certain it is there. I perceive fewer flyers, but I will not tell you that with certainty.

I do find the ACPs much cleaner and with less blowback.

Personally one of the biggest advantages is handling. I'd always drop the 209s into the action when I tried to get them out. With cold hands, it was very difficult to manipulate them. The 209s are longer and much easier to handle -- I never had a problem getting them in and out.

I've heard from people using 209s that burn out their breechplugs after several hundred rounds of shooting -- the flashhole enlarges and accuracy goes. I can't say this for sure, but I have many hundreds (a thousand?) rounds through my Omega and there has been no loss in accuracy. It is possible that with the weaker small rifle primer it does not burn out the plug.

Omega/Encore plugs are easy to convert yourself using the right drill bit and a lathe or drill press with vise.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 AM
Spike

Spaniel, wonder if the BP on the Accura could be converted? The 209's measure right at .24, the dia and length are right at the same. Being a clockmaker I have the Sherline lathe, bits and such. I've not seen the 25ACP to know the measurements.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:01 AM
Typical Buck

i have a T/C ENCOREno need to go to the 25acp ...i use t7 powder ..and any 209 primers [tried them all ] keep it simple and enjoy ur T/C ...
Old 01-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: vvvaaa

Spaniel, wonder if the BP on the Accura could be converted? The 209's measure right at .24, the dia and length are right at the same. Being a clockmaker I have the Sherline lathe, bits and such. I've not seen the 25ACP to know the measurements.
I have not seen one of these plugs to know if it can be converted. The main concern is not the widening of the primer channel, but the depth. It would depend how much metal is between the seat of the 209 and the face of the plug inside (base of combustion chamber).

Only you can make the decision if you are willing to try it and take the chance that it is still safe! You could check the Precision Rifle website to see if they already do it, that would be a good indicator.

If you already have a lathe, just get some cases to get the diameter right and use a caliper to measure the length of your plug with the 209 primer seated in it. Then drill out the plug until the length with a 25ACP case inserted is exactly the same.

I did one of mine myself, I did not have a case on me and was trying to do it an inferior way and the depth is a little short and needs to be redone...
Old 01-03-2009, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

Some very interesting info on the 25 or 209 primer thanks guys

Quick Reply: 25 ACP or 209 primers?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.