Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Found a new hobby!

Old 12-27-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default Found a new hobby!

Got to admit, this was a lot of fun to make. I still have a lot of work to do on it but i enjoyed the process.

My nephew and i took my overweight dog for his daily walk and i wanted to put a little stress on the dog so we hiked up to an old burnt down house and while looking around i found 3 old circular saw blades and took them back home with me. I grabbed a marker and drew my design and started cutting it out with the grinder and then took it to the bench grinder for a detailed cut out.

Blade is wider than i want it but i figured i had a good start and would finish it up tomorrow and then find an deer or elk antler to place the blade in. I have about an 1/8" of blade that i still need to take off to slim it down. I am leaving the tang very thick so it will be strong.

After this i will need to learn how to make sheaths for the knives i want to make.[:'(]
Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Found a new hobby!

Friends and I made throwing knives out of old truck leaf springs one year. The one friendhas a forge and we hammered them flat and then cut them out, and shaped them on bench grinders. Since they were throwing knives they did not have to be super sharp, but we put a good edge on them and had a lot of fun throwing knives, getting readyfor an upcoming rendezvous I was going to attend.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Banned

Have to make a finger guard tomorrow for it and then sharpen the blade.

This side i still have to clean up, its to rusty lookin,

Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Banned

just finished it today. Very fun project and it was easy on the pocket
I will clean up the blade here in a bit and sharpen it some more. Takes a real nice edge to it.

i have knife #2 drawn out on the steel but have to find my elk antler first before i start cutting.