Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

@@@ SAFETY ALERT--BH209 @@@

Old 12-24-2008, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Default @@@ SAFETY ALERT--BH209 @@@

My son almost Double Loaded his 45cal Disc Elite this morning before our hunt!

And here's why.

Tim went to check his rifle to see if it was loaded form his previous hunt last week. He couldn't remember if he had cleared it(Fired it off at the end of his hunt) Instead of dropping the ramrod down, and checking the witness marks, He just blew into the muzzle end, and had good air going out the breech plug nipple, I could hear it as well. Just before he dumped ANOTHER 90g Tube oh BH209 down the barrel, I stopped him and told him to drop the ram rod in, just to make sure.....Was Fully Loaded(Minus The Primer) with powder and 200g Shockwave/with Green sabot

That just blew our minds, cause NO WAY could all that air get thru a fully loaded Muzzy...Right? So I had him prime it and fire that thing off right there in the dark, Went BOOM!

We reloaded, and continued our morning hunt...Wonderfully uneventful

We got home at about 1230 today, and as we said our good-bye's, We hugged each other, and Tim held me a little longer than usual, and thanked me for insisting on double checking the rifle, cause he would have double loaded it for sure if I hadn't been there.

The Lord stepped in, and saved us this time, I know for sure! So PLEASE heed this warning:
Please Be Advised: BH209 Is NOT Air Tight, those little HOLE FILLED grains of powder can let A LOT of air slip past the breech plug nipple! Never Blow into Any Barrel--Always Use the Ram-Rod to check for a Loaded/Unloaded Condition!

Thank You Jesus
Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: @@@ SAFETY ALERT--BH209 @@@

WOW!!! a very good heads up. I guess when I think of it.. all those little holes would kind of let air through. Glad you insisted and no one was hurt.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you caught it. Ask Bigdadjk about double loading BH209.He shot180 grains himself.He almost got knocked off the shooting bench. The Triumph is still in one piece and hes okay, Thank God
Old 12-24-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

WOW!

Good to know he and you ended up safe. Good call Dad!

Just this morning I was thinking of why my daughter (who is brand new to muzzy hunting) missed a doeupstate NY on the last Saturday of the ML season the weekend before last. Of all the safety items we went over I believe I failed to tell her to check her load every once in a while during the day to make sure it's seated all the way. The powerbeltbullet whichloadseasily barrel could have come off the charge a bit. Obviously potentially dangerous (who really cares about the miss). When I thought of this my palms started sweating. I have no idea if this affected her shot or not. Doesn't matter.

It always pays to think safety first and just stop and check ourselves.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Just want to clarify: I never taught him to blow down ANY barrel[8D] And the Ram-Rod is the ONLY way to ensure(short of pulling the breech plug out) to check for loaded/unloaded condition
Old 12-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

There's nothing like a near miss to get your attention, and get you to thinking "what if".

Thanks for the heads up Lane.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:43 PM

THANK THE LORD YOU CAUGHT IT IN TIME.....
Old 12-24-2008, 01:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks for the heads up! Glad to know everyone is safe.
Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Hopefully "common sense" stepped in before the Lord had to.[8D]

PLEASE folks,,,DON'T wrap yer lips around a gun barrel!!!!
Old 12-24-2008, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

Yep, keepthat pie-hole off the muzzle. Just dang[8D]

Quick Reply: @@@ SAFETY ALERT--BH209 @@@

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.