Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 is garbage

Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 AM

Default RE: 777 is garbage

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

The only time I have ever had any problems with any powder, has been when I didn't do what need to be done to ensure it went bang. This includes proper cleaning and drying of my ML'er, proper pre-loading procedures that are repeatable and proper storage of my powders.[&:]

Amen to that HuntAway. I have found when ever I have had trouble it was from MY lack of care taken. I have learned over many years that if you want to short cut shooting a Muzzleloader then you will have troubles soon after. I have a STRICT routine I follow now. I know what I need to do at the range and I know what I need to do in the field when hunting to make things work.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntAway

The only time I have ever had any problems with any powder, has been when I didn't do what need to be done to ensure it went bang. This includes proper cleaning and drying of my ML'er, proper pre-loading procedures that are repeatable and proper storage of my powders.[&:]

There is no doubt, what you say is true. However if I am going to spend the prices they charge for this stuff then I want it to work the way I want it to, not the way they want it to. And if I can not use the powder in my ways then I will use something else. I have had problems with 2 different canisters of T7, and I thought I was using and storing it the right way. In othere words there is nothing mentioned yet that I did not do. And I still had problems with it. And as a hunter I wanta product that helps me, not a product I have to constantly worry about.

As MZ shooters we are all probably trying to get them to do more than what they were actually designed to do. IMO that is a big part of the problem. I know I am guilty of this. Tom.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I never did like the 777 pellets myself nothing but problems with them.
I do like the 777 loose powder had nothing but good luck using it.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 AM

i have never used pellets. always have used loose powder 777 hasnt caused me too much problems other than the crud ring that is why i am going to look into getting some bh 209
Old 12-25-2008, 10:04 AM
Fork Horn

I have used 777 for a few years in my Omega's and really don't care for it. I don't like the gray crust, the crud ring or the cost.I currently use RS and have had no crud ring even though it is more of a clean up.The cost and is WAY lower and either way you still have to clean the bore. I have NEVER had a slow or delayed ignition from 777 but I have had trouble w/ Remington BP primers in my Omega. They would come apart @ ignition. I have not measured them compared to Winchesters for sizing but I quit using them. I have taken a few shots w/ BH209 but this stuff is just too expensive for my taste.RS is just so cheap, hold great groups and I only shoot 110 grains so the extra cost just isn't where I need to go.
Steve