Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

For 700ML Users

Old 12-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default For 700ML Users

In attempting to figure out Sabotloader’s method of taping breach plugs I stumbled upon a fix for stopping most of the blowback into the nipple. From what I understand even with the Cabela’s conversion a lot of 700MLs still have quite a bit of blowback. Even enoughto cause the primer to separate from its cup. Mine will do this about 95% of the time. It’s never been enough to recock the bolt or fly out but nonetheless, it makes me uncomfortable and don’t like it.

However, yesterday I fixed that and I wanted to share with you guys because I think there's still quite a few 700MLs still out there in service. I think most people are using grease on the nipple even if they can get the tape method to work. I decided to give taping the nipple a shot. It worked beautifully. Yesterday I only had one primer that did not stay together perfectly and it didn’t even completely separate. It was still held together but it was sitting crooked in the cup. In addition, previously after about 15 or 20 shots the buildup inside the nipple would be so great it would be difficult to get another primer to fit. I would have to take a Q-Tip and swab it out. Yesterday that was never the case.

Here’s what the nipple looked like after it was pulled. Normally there would be fouling on all the threads andthe rest would have a thin layer as well.

This is what it looks after the tape has been reapplied and installed.

I have not perfected wrapping the breach plug with the degree of effectiveness that I would prefer. One day I’m sure I’ll stumble upon the correct combo of tape thickness and wrapping method. However, I can get the nipple portion of the breach plug wrapped and it clearly works in stopping most of the blowback. I really wanted to give Blackhorn a shot in the 700 but haven’t done it to date because of the blowback. I think I will try it now.

I Hope this is helpful to someone. (There may be other two piece BPs out there as well, I’m not sure, and this might work for those as well.)
Old 12-21-2008, 08:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: For 700ML Users

An excellent report. This shoud help a lot of people and I believe make things a hold up much better. Lee
Old 12-21-2008, 08:48 AM
Dominant Buck

That's a great idea. I will try the same thing on my Black Diamond XR and see if ithelps that rifle as well. I use the white teflon tape. I never have yet found that pink tape in any of the stores around here.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:53 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

That's a great idea. I will try the same thing on my Black Diamond XR and see if ithelps that rifle as well. I use the white teflon tape. I never have yet found that pink tape in any of the stores around here.
the WHITE TAPE is for low pressure pipefitting [for water ect....]

the PINK TAPE is for high oil pressure [will not tear as easy]
Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've tried both. The white was too weak and the pink was too thick... so yesterday after cleaning I stretched the pink out when I wrapped the breach plug and it seems to have finally worked for me. I'll find out for sure this weekend when I shoot that monster buck The pink works beautifully on the nipple part though.Tape is kinda like sabots, you have to find the thickness that works best w/your gun.