Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzleloader scope choice?

Old 12-20-2008, 08:41 PM

Default Muzzleloader scope choice?

I am looking at buying a T/C Triumph and am wonder what scope would be the best choice? Well Im at it, what about loads, powders, cleaners, etc. I am a newbie to the muzzleloader scene. Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 12-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Muzzleloader scope choice?

When someone asks what's the best scope or load, its helpful to know what they expect to encounter when they hunt.

For instance if you hunt in the woods and your shots are under 100 yards.. a good scope might bea Nikon 2-7x32mm Pro Staff or a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32mm. These have great eye relief and great glass. There are other scopes of course that would fit this. The Leupold Ultimate Slam and Swift makes a good scope as well I was told. Like I said, there are lots of them. If the shots are real close, a simple 4x scope would handle the job.

But lets say your shooting across fields at say 200 yards. Then you might want to invest in something like a Nikon Omega with a BDC so you can make those long shots. You might want a 3-9x40mm for those long shots.

As for projectiles, and powders.. BlackHorn 209 is a good powder but it has it's little quirks. Triple Seven is a great powder. Pyrodex RS is a great powder. It all depends on what you want or do not want to do. And as for projectiles.. again, how far you want to shoot? What are you going to do when you hunt...

But let us know what kind of hunting experience you encounter...
Old 12-21-2008, 06:20 AM

I will have shot opportunies up to 250yrds across a corn field. The gun will be setup for michigan whitetail for the gun season and muzzleloader season. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Dominant Buck

Just because of that 250 statement, I would go with a Nikon Omega with the BDC or a Leupold Grand Slam. Get the 3-9x40 optics. Unless you really want to drop some serious money. Although I will be those two choices will do you. Also if BlackHorn 209 is legal there, some of the Triumph shooters have been posting some very impressive 200 yard groups with that and 200 grain Shockwaves on a different forum. Sounds like a nice set up and place to hunt.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Just because of that 250 statement, I would go with a Nikon Omega with the BDC or a Leupold Grand Slam. Get the 3-9x40 optics. Unless you really want to drop some serious money. Although I will be those two choices will do you. Also if BlackHorn 209 is legal there, some of the Triumph shooters have been posting some very impressive 200 yard groups with that and 200 grain Shockwaves on a different forum. Sounds like a nice set up and place to hunt.
+1
I use a Triumph with a Nikon Omega on it
with 120gr of BH209 and a short balck Harvester sabot with a 250 SW
since this shoots very good groups and is on the trajectory the scope is marked for close enough that a few practice shots at each range let me "0" it, it may well be worth a try. Most of us know that no two guns are ever quite the same and the large tolorance for barrel diameter sometimes means we have to find the right sabot for the gun. Even so a lot of Triumphs are ending up with this load for long range. Lee
Old 12-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Typical Buck

The Nikon Omega with BDC for long shots is a great choice. Bushnell makes the 3200 Elite with their version of the BDC but it has progressively longer lines underneath the main crosshair rather than the circles. Some have mentioned they do not like the circles. I doubt you will find a clearer scope. Also not too pricey if you can find one.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

Have you looked at the Vortex line? The Diamondback 3x9x40 is an awesome scope. The clarity is great. Great price and the warranty is second to none.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the Leatherwood Hi-Lux Toby Bridges ML scope 3x9x40
I prefer the lines to the circles