Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Encore PH broken in today x 2

Old 12-13-2008, 07:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Encore PH broken in today x 2

Guys,

Well today was the day to get me MZ career kicked off. First let me set the scene:

- I arrived a little late and didn't get into the stand until 7:00 am. 22 degrees, NW wind, hunting in Southern TN, ladder stand over looking a food plot (200 yds L to R and 60 deep). I sat on the southern side, wind inmy face, with 150 yds to my left and 50 yds to my right.

- I was carrying an Encore PH, thumbhole, burris 3x9x40mm ballistic plex, 250 gr SW/HSBS over 110 gr 2f Triple 7.

- Behind me was a pretty step ridge (drop off)...heavily wooded, beyond the food plot was another ridge drop off to a semi-wooded draw, beyond the draw (approx 220 yds) was another ridge (the top of which was approx 275 yds). All distances were confirmed via rangefinder.

- After about an hour I had several doe enter the field to my far left. They kept looking over their shoulders into the woods and after about 15 minutes a 6 ptr emerged. The buck was nice (tall and thick) but was clearly a young buck. Therefore, I decided to take the biggest doe available. The target was approx. 100 yds away quartering towards me...after a lengthy wait and no broadside opportunity, I put the PH to work. The SW entered in front of her left shoulder and exited mid-rib cage on her right side. The exit hole was the size of a quarter (sorry I left the camera at home). When the smoke cleared I saw her skidding and floppingon her back...she managed to gain her feet (atleast the rear gear) for about 15 yards but was spewing blood every where. She weighted 110 lbs.

-Well, after I shot deer scatteredto my left (back the woods from which they came) and up the next draw. Here is where I became so impressed with the 4-in-1 TC speed loader. I had the PH reloaded in notime at all.

-I sat for about 15-20 minutes and noticed a deer to my left and slightly behind me. The deer was in the woods quartering away from the field (deeper into the woods) and going downhill. At 50 yds I got a good look at the deer through the scope (I had lowered to 3 power)...upon entering the clearing (between trees) I saw the antlers, found the front left shoulder and squeezed. When the smoke cleared I looked and listened for a running deer...saw nothing but white belly. Maybe three kicks and he expired. High shoulder shot that penciledstraight through. He weighed 183 lbs.

Here are a couple of pictures (I'm not going to mount him but brought this home for photos and to show my four kids).

Hammer

Old 12-13-2008, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Encore PH broken in today x 2

Photo #2

Old 12-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Photo #3

Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hammer49

Dang nice looking Harvest... CONGRATS!!!

I agree the 4-1 works really slick...
Old 12-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

Nice job! Beautiful buck!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is a grreat buck! Not knocking you in any way at all, but he be going on my wall for sure.[8D]Congrats!!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Fork Horn

Big Daddy,

I did go ahead and place him in the freezer just in case. Perhaps after the Holiday Season I'll be able to squeeze that in.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Dominant Buck

very nice buck and congratulations on the doe also...
Old 12-14-2008, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the nice buck.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 AM

NICE... thanks for the great play by play. I love reading what others experiences are!

Quick Reply: Encore PH broken in today x 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.