Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

...Better than a day at the office

Old 12-12-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default ...Better than a day at the office

Well, the deer seemed to elude me once again. Took a half day of vacation to hunt during the Wisconsin antlerless season. Thought I had a good set-up on public land.... cold temps.... over corn. I was hoping the cold weather and snow depth would get the deer into the corn early. No dice. I saw turkeys and a pheasant on my way there, squirrels while sitting and had a mouse try to sneak up my pant leg. Thought today would be the day. Oh well... as they say, a day in the woods is better than a day in the office. I thank God for the opportunity to enjoy His creation.

The Sidekick is still loaded.... hope to hunt the "holiday hunt" during the week between Christmas and New Years in the chronic wasting zone. Maybe there's one there demented enough to walk in front of me.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: ...Better than a day at the office

Sorry to hear of your lack of seeing deer. It seems that was an all to common complaint this year. Lets hope that your next time out will be better.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

just having problems on my end on seeing bucks, seen an total of 20 does and yearling.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Me to, since the wolves turn up around here things are not so good, I still have a buck tag left. Opening 2and Muzzle loading season today all I seen this morning was 5 does 4 young and a spike. Lee
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My fire arm Deer season summary 2008

Adverage 6:00 am temp was 28.8F. Highest was opening day at 41F, rain all day. Sunday the 16th rain half the day then 4 inches of snow and a total for the season was 9 inches.

Lowest temp was a tie the 21st @ 19F and the 23d. Snow flurries many days.

Adverage Number of deer sighted was 9 a day. Highest number was a tie, 22 on the 21st and the 26th.
Lowest was zero on the 28th. Dog house # 2 blind this year isn't so good. I feel it is the dogs have ran the deer out of that area since I saw dogs every time I sat in that blind.
Best blind is the PVC pipe blind sitting in a old fence row next to a woods and a over grown field. Second best is Dog house #1 sitting on a ridge over looking the creek and low lands.

Seen 4 antlered bucks, a spike, 2 four points and a very nice one for an instant. Hope to see him again during ML season.

Won't mention the number of fence sitting hunters I seen.

I have 9 deays left of ML season.

Al
Old 12-13-2008, 12:05 PM
Fork Horn

OK.... could you send some of those deer to WI and tie them down ? Just let me know where they are.