Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

lOOSE OPERATING NUT!

Old 12-12-2008, 07:08 PM
Fork Horn

Default lOOSE OPERATING NUT!

Out in the last part of late mz season. 20deg wind outta the NW, them big ole flake comin down this eve!! overlookin a swamp/marsh. condishuns perfect! 3 bigun 5min before legal shootin time left!! They hang up in da thik stuff! darn!! Get down otta da tree, ezin long da cornfield, jump 1, jump anudder, an anudder,, it heads up across da pikked corn, get da scope on it as it points its butt at me! coupple more steps, end of standing corn, one steps out broadside 45-50yds!! rifle up scope on it, safety off pull trigger!! CLICK!!! Double safety on Knight disc elite!! Had it screwed ahead when I let it down out lf tree!! Tomorrow is anudder day[:-][:-][:-]
Old 12-12-2008, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: lOOSE OPERATING NUT!

Put a 3/8" coarse thread lock nut on there instead. Buh da way, u aint at DWB's if'n u iz lost der Thumper.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:16 PM
Fork Horn

UC; LOST,LOST? Heck I been Lost in da Ozone for 30 yrs!!
Old 12-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Them double safty is why I never hunt with my Knight. Once burned twice shy. Lee
Old 12-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Dominant Buck

I actually like the double safety on Knight and Whiterifles. I feel better knowing there are two chances the rifle will not do something stupid, or should I say, I will not do something stupid when I am climbing around.

Like Thumper, I put that back safety on when I climb, but as soon as I am on the ground again, its screwed all the way back and I use the side safety. That's a shame you did not get the shot, but there will be another day.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Dominant Buck

actually I thought you were going to make some personal observation. Glad it was the rifle that was the problem.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like the second safety on a White just fine (particularly the 97models) but the one on the Knight Disc rifles sucks, IMHO. It tends to screw itself inward even if leaned against a tree. Knight has some crazy ideas about safeties.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Dominant Buck

UC, I agree. On the Knights you have to keep an eye on it. I too have noticed that suddenly it is up too far for the rifle to fire. And I agree about the Whites too. You put that massive lock lug safety on, and then the side safety and I dare to say there are few rifles as safe as that rifle in that condition.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

LOST,LOST? Heck I been Lost in da Ozone for 30 yrs!!
In the O-Zone Thumper? Is that Oprah's web site???
Old 12-14-2008, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

Semi: doncha remember Commander Cody and the Lost Planet Airmen?? one drink of ,2drinks of gin! Lost in the ozone again. And Hot Rod Lincoln??