Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cant Decide Help Me Pick A Muzzleloader

Old 12-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cant Decide Help Me Pick A Muzzleloader

Looking for a 50 cal muzzleloder I have been looking at these 3 CVA Buckhorn
CVA Wolf Break Away and a Traditions Tracker Muzzleloder. From the reviews I have read so far I am leaning towards the CVA Buckhorn seems like just a good all around gun. I plan to put a leopold scope on it and use it for deer hunting.I Was wondering if anyone had any of these guns and how you like it and if the cleaning is easy. Also off topic butI heard thatwhen obama gets in office guns and ammo are going up but not muzzleloaders does anyone know why that would be. Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Cant Decide Help Me Pick A Muzzleloader

The Buckhorn and the Tracker are both open breech rifles. So they will fowl the bottom of your scope. Be sure to put a scope bikini on the scope to protect it and make clean up easier. The Wolf being a closed breech is not as prone to fowling out the bottom of the scope. The Buckhorn and the Tracker work on the Hammer/Striker open breech design. They will take longer to clean then the Wolf, but still are easy to clean and because of their simple design are kind of bullet proof for function.

All of these rifles can handle magnum powder charges, but do not plan on shooting them. Most of them get their best accuracy with 90-110 grains of loose powder or two pellets. Also between all of them, only the Wolf can really hand the new Black Horn and I Hots powder if you choose to go that route.

I own a CVA Staghorn Magnum that is a lot like the Buckhorn. A very good shooting rifle.

As for Obama and price increases, I think they would have went up any way. It seems like inflation has really hitting abouteverything during the current administration's economy. The only thing not going up is the take home pay for me...
Old 12-12-2008, 03:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Wolf, and I love it! Took my first deer with it a couple of weeks ago. And to top it all off, it is very easy to clean. I am shooting 80 grains of 777 loose powder, with a 295 grain Hollow point Power Belt. And the 777 Winchester 209 primers.
Old 12-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

The TC triumph is the best,or 1 of the best muzzleloaders I've ever shot/cleaned/used. Check them out before you buy. Wal-mart has them for about 350$.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Spike

I have a Wolf and really like it. I shoot 80 or 90 gr. volume of Bh 209 and a 250 SST with Harvester Sb sabot. Very accurate load. I am going to try same powder with a 250 Speer Gold Dot if the weather ever warms up. Easy to clean, overall I am very happy with the gun.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:18 PM
Fork Horn

Anyone else going to a gun show tommorrow.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 PM

The CVA, Remington, and Traditions are basically the same gun imported from China. I'm not saying they don't work but for a little more steam you can buy a T/C Omega which will last you forever and might prove to be more accurate and dependable. Walmart has the T/C Omega Z5 in the kit with bullets and supplies for $297, it's just as good and has the same barrel/action/trigger as the $700 laminated thumb hole version.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

mountainman08 - is China in Spain? [8D]
Old 12-12-2008, 10:32 PM

Yep, I'll be visiting a Gun Show tomorrow here in the midwest.

As far as Obama... its a supply and demand thing. If there are people in a panic and they go on a buying spree then sure prices will go up, but I think the economy will keep people from going too crazy. It will take some time to pass legislation on new gun and ammo laws.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

The CVA Buck Horn is a really good muzzleloader. It is worth much more that its price. Recently scoped one of them with a 4X SimmonsPro-Diamond shotgun scope usingold used Weaver mounts and rings.That gun is among the most accurate muzzleloaders i have ever fired. With100 grains of Pyrodex RS and the 240 grain .430 XTP in the Knight sabot, that gun made honest 1.5" groups at 100 yards, one right after the other.

The action of the Buck Horn is held in the stock by two screws and two retention blocks, unlike the Stag Horn which has only one screw and one block. The Buck Horn stock is much more rigid than the stocks on the older CVAguns.

Quick Reply: Cant Decide Help Me Pick A Muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.