Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

switching sabots on Dead Centers

Old 12-10-2008, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default switching sabots on Dead Centers

All of this talk of heavier bullets and BCs got me thinking. I used to shoot the .357 195gr Duplex Dead Center in a Traditions Lightning with good results (1 inch groups at 100 yds). But when I switched to my Omega I could not get any of the Dead Center .40cal bullets to group at any reasonable charge (I didn't try anything under 90gr because I was not interested in shooting them slow). I tried every weight up to 240 gr.

Which got me thinking...the gun shoots the 200SW lights out. Could it be the sabot? Does anyone know which exact sabot are supplied with the DCs and the 200SWs? Anyone tried this? I know the DCs in their orange sabot go down the barrel LOTS easier than the SW in its blue sabot...possibly the tighter fit makes for better accuracy?

Next time I get some range time I'm taking some of the 240gr DCs out and shooting them in SW sabots with 110gr 777, what I currently use for the 200SW. If I can fix them I'm really interested in testing out the 260gr DC bullet.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: switching sabots on Dead Centers

spaniel
I played with them to, this is a guess formulated from using other lead bullets, there seems to be some sort of limit there because I can get them to shoot quite well up to 100gr but when I put ahunting load behind the they open right up. Lee
Old 12-10-2008, 09:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: switching sabots on Dead Centers

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

spaniel
I played with them to, this is a guess formulated from using other lead bullets, there seems to be some sort of limit there because I can get them to shoot quite well up to 100gr but when I put ahunting load behind the they open right up. Lee
This has been exactly my experience. Some people claim they've done it though so I was toying with trying the sabot swap. I've got some 240s and 220s that are just sitting there to burn up.