Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

sabots/bullets

Old 12-08-2008, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

Default sabots/bullets

I don't even have my gun yet but how snug is the bullet suposed to fit in the sabot. I was playing with some shockwaves and I can't get the bulet to sit in the sabot very well.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: sabots/bullets

Hey Bowfislherman, you didn't say just what is happening when you put the bullet in the sabot, but it's not too unusual that the bullet fit seems a little funky before loading in the bore.

For example, I have some 300 grain SSTs (same bullet as Shockwaves). When I push them all the way into the supplied sabot held inmy handthey will rise back up from the fully seated position a little -about 1/16". But when the sabot is in the bore they stay seated due to greater friction of the sabot against the side of the bullet. If I push the same bullet in a Harvester sabot it stays fully seated, even in my hand.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't want to lean on or have to pound the sabot/bullet down the bore, and I don't want it to slip down with little pressure on the rod. I want a snug fit and one that takes a steady solid pressure to move it down the bore to the powder charge.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Hey Bowfislherman, you didn't say just what is happening when you put the bullet in the sabot, but it's not too unusual that the bullet fit seems a little funky before loading in the bore.

For example, I have some 300 grain SSTs (same bullet as Shockwaves). When I push them all the way into the supplied sabot held inmy handthey will rise back up from the fully seated position a little -about 1/16". But when the sabot is in the bore they stay seated due to greater friction of the sabot against the side of the bullet. If I push the same bullet in a Harvester sabot it stays fully seated, even in my hand.
Just like you said it rises up a little and I was worried it wouldn't sit in there straight when I pushed it down the barrel. I guess it will seat itself from the pressure. Only reason I asked was I have some xtp's that sit in there real nice. seems like everyone likes those crushed rib sabots so maybe I'll order a bag of them.