Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

do muzzle loaders have this kind of velocity?

Old 12-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Spike

Default do muzzle loaders have this kind of velocity?

I'm very new to muzle loadersso forgive my naiveness but I didn't think they could gi this far and still penetrate two walls.

http://www.app.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081206/NEWS/81206002&s=d&page=2#pluckcomments
Old 12-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: do muzzle loaders have this kind of velocity?

While the details of the gun are minimal, 50 cal muzzleloader, it is not unreasonable to assume a MLer projectile could go half a mile (880 yards). The 1853 enfield that was used in the cival war has a ladder type rear sight that is marked for up to 1000 + yards. The load was only 60 grains of powder and a 600+ grain bullet, the drop on the Enfield is something like 165 feet at 880 yards. The energy at half a mile would be enough to go through a couple of sheetrock walls for sure (around380 fpe). The exterior wall would be the toughest to penetrate in most houses but if it was only vinyl siding and tyvek on the exterior wall, no problem. More modern style smokepoles would shoot flatter but may not haveany more energy that the old CW style guns at that range due to lighter bullets. For instance, a 200 grain SW ahot at 2300fps (150gr load) would only drop about51 feet but would have similar energy (around 330 fpe) at half a mile.

The problem is that the shooter would have to be shooting somewhat up hill with no backstop for the bullet to go that far, or the bullethit a rock or something and went that far (I would think the energy would be much less if that happened). This is not a good practice and it is discouraged in all hunter safety courses. The shooter needs to be sent back to get or review his hunter safety certification, at the very least.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Dominant Buck

A muzzleloader has a lot more power then people might guess. I would guess someone was shooting uphill or in the air at something. Its the only way they could get that kind of distance. But as long as the bullet hits nothing to slow it down, penetration would depend on what it encounters. Sheet rock as we know is not much.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:19 PM
Typical Buck

Boy, This site is becomming very difficult to use. Took me about fifteen minutes just to get logged in after I finally found an icon to do that, Now the Fast reply section refuses to work and every time I hit a space bar the screen drops out of site. I really liked this site but it is becomming a pain and I may just write it off if it continues to be so troublesome. Relative to the house penetration, a lot of houses here in Arizona are stucco which is actually just a light coat of cement based material over chicken wire on styrofoam sheets. A friend had his daughter park her bicycle against the house and the handlebar punched a hole in the side of the house. I think a standard Red Ryder BB gun would probably penetrate most of those houses. Mine is cement block which I like a lot more. Not too many made like that now as it takes too long and costs too much.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Someone shot into the air or at an animal/target standing at the top of a very steep hill.

This year there was the case of a boyin a school yard at Bray, OK. He was hitwith a .30 caliber bullet apparently fired from a long distance. The bullet had two lands and grooves whichmeans it was most likely fired from 03/03A3 Springfield rifle barrel.

http://mobile.newsok.com/article/3319747/bullet-that-struck-bray-teen-identified
Old 12-09-2008, 02:02 PM
Fork Horn

They must live in a trailer park....I know my300 grain SST's wouldn't get through ANY of my walls!!! [:-]
Old 12-09-2008, 04:28 PM
Spike

MoNoFletch, is there a story you would like to get off of your chest?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

LOL! Nope...I'm not goin' there!!

I had a D loop break in my bedroom while I was timing a drop away on an 80# Elite e500.I am glad the neighbors house is BRICK!
Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 AM
Fork Horn

Hello All,

I live in central NY, the above reported story was on yesterdays morning news as happening in Dearfield NY, talking with my brother he heard it on the radio as happening in Waterville NY. Now your link goes to a story that it happened in NJ.

I believe the whole story is False. It is just the anti's trying to push an agenda!

Ken Hall
Central NY

Old 12-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2008/12/a_hunter_was_charged_with.html

A hunter has been charged with firing a slug into a home in Readington, which passed into a toddler's unoccupied bedroom, authorities said today.

No one was injured when Carl Haddad, 56, of Flemington, opened fire and struck the home on Oriole Court Wednesday, according to police and the state Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife.

Police searched a farm behind the home, where they spotted two hunters including Haddad, who was armed with a .50 caliber muzzle loading shotgun, said Yuhas. Complaints were later served against Haddad for discharging a firearm without due caution while hunting, and for causing property damage.

The complaints will be heard in municipal court, where he faces fines of up to $2,000 and a mandatory loss of his hunting privileges for up to two years.

There was no answer at Haddad's home when a reporter called this afternoon. The other hunter, who was not named, was not charged.

DeCampos said Haddad came to her home on Friday to apologize. Haddad said he was the master hunter and safety coordinator of his hunting club, she recalled.