Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Barnes MZ Scorecard

Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Barnes MZ Scorecard

Directions: If you got a deer this year with the Barnes MZ (any weight) post a BRIEF summary with - bullet weight, powder/charge, MV (if you know it), gun, range of shot, distance deer ran after shot, location of hit, characterization of wound channel damage, blood trail if relevant, and anything else you feel relevant to evaluating bullet performance on the shot.

If the deer is not recovered you can still share this information, but please refrain from guessing where the hit was located as this cannot be confirmed without recovering the animal.

This post will form the official scorecard and I'll update when reports are added. NOTE: IF YOU DO NOT POST THE REPORT IN THIS THREAD, IT WILL NOT BE COUNTED!

I took two deer on opening day of MLer season in Va with an Omega, shooting 100g of BH209, signted in 2" high at 100. Shot 300g Barnes MZ with suppled sabot. 1st deer was a 6 point, 150 lbs, quarting to me. Shot him in the brisket facing me, exited on his RHS, complete pass thru, deer ran 25 or 30 yards and dropped in the field. Shot was 60 or 70 yards from a ladder stand. This was at about 5:15 on 11/1, there were 6 different bucks in the open field in front of me this was the largest body wise--mosly small spikes, 2 fork horns and another smaller 6 pointer.

Deer 2 was a large doe, same field about 1 hour later. I left the buck lay and stayed in my tree stand. It came out about sunset and went behind me 30 yards, I was sitting in the stand and am right handed so it was over my right shoulder. Waited for it to go around meand when I had an opening shot it at about 50 yards. It was boom flop.

Compiled Results:

Barnes MZ scorecard

gleason.chapman 1 buck 1 doe total 2

Sjsfire 1 buck total 3

Sjsfire 1 doe total 4.

I will update this thread as you post to it.
Chap
Old 12-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Barnes MZ Scorecard

Congrats bro!
Old 12-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Spike buck taken the Saturday before Thanksgiving about 4:30pm Pope County Illinois

CVA Wolf with Nikon Prostaff
Barnes 300gr Expander MZ with Crushed Rib sabot
100gr Pyrodex pellets
W209 primer

Range 15-17 yards
deer ran maybe 10 yards

Bullet entered where the neck meets the shoulder on the deers right side. No exit, found bullet while washing out body cavity with the garden hose. I didn't have a way to weigh the bullet but it appears it would still be 300gr.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Entrance hole

Old 12-08-2008, 06:46 PM
Typical Buck

Nice shot placement

Charlie
Old 12-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Beautiful expanded bullet, picture perfect, just like the Barnes ad.
Chap
Old 12-09-2008, 03:52 PM
Dominant Buck

That is some impressive expansion from that Barnes. I'm surprised that deer even flinched. Nice Buck.
Old 12-09-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

So which Barnes muzzleloader bullet does everyone like the best? I just bought some 290 grain Spit Fire T-EZ's to see how they shoot out of the Genesis. They're suppose to have a new sabot that makes them easier to load which may turn out to be just a thinner sabot. I don't know but I'll find out.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

So which Barnes muzzleloader bullet does everyone like the best? I just bought some 290 grain Spit Fire T-EZ's to see how they shoot out of the Genesis. They're suppose to have a new sabot that makes them easier to load which may turn out to be just a thinner sabot. I don't know but I'll find out.
I like the following Barnes Bullets:

Barnes MZ 300g, supplied sabot,which I shoot in my Omega and got 2 deer with it andI described it above.

Barnes Origonal 300g with Crushed Rib sabot shot from Savage, got 3 deer with it so far. 1 6 point and 2 doe. All pass thrus with this bullet, it is very tough, maybe a bit too tough for deer.

I have also shot the 45843 TSX Flatnose in my Savage with 5744, it shoots real well. I have not taken game with it, it has a huge hollow point like the MZ, in fact it is the MZ in .458 instead of .452. If I get to the range to see where it hits with my scope I may shoot it this year, since our season goes until march 31, 09 and we can buy as many bonus tags as we want. All of Loudoun Co Va is private land with NOT a lot of hunting allowed on the small 5, 10a horse farms and there is a lot of deer here. MLers are best for this since there is a large human population and you don't wanna shoot 300 yards.

A lotta guys over on the Savage forum shoot the TMZ, the T-EZ whichjust came out from Barnes and you bought, is a flat based version of the TMZ, which should shoot well in many guns especially at high velocity. Barnesmakes great bullets.

I like most Barnes bullets, I am not fond of the TMZ because it is boat tailed and they don't work well in MLers.
Chap
Old 12-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another Barnes MZ moment

Illinois MZ Season taken 12/13/08 at 4:10pm
CVA Wolf with Nikon scope
300gr Barnes Expander MZ/crushed rib sabot
2 50gr Pyrodex pellets
W209 primer

160+ pound doe
122 yard shot in neck/pass through
0 yards ran
no bullet recovered

Perfect, Every deer I've shot at with this setup since new. I'm 4 for 4.