Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Another FPB Test

Old 12-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another FPB Test

Hoosier

Where in IN are you? I'm near South Bend.
Old 12-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

If your keeping a score card you can mark me down for 1.I took a doe at 60 yds with the FPB she only ran maybe 40 yds.Awsome blood trail,Ray Charles himself could have found her!
Old 12-08-2008, 12:51 PM
Fork Horn

UN,

I am down in Wells County...south of Bluffton. One of the few counties that can only take 1 anterled and 1 antlerless. That score was my son and mine combined with The Black PEARL !!!
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have drven through Wells Co. a little. Looked like good deer contry to me. Are they trying to grow the herd there? We can shoot 3 bonus antlerless in my county, and I'd say you have better habitat.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

UN,

We seem to have plenty of deer until it's deer season, then all you do is read about 3-6 deer/car wrecks in the paper everyday. It doesn't make since to me....all the counties around us can harvest 2-4 bonus but we only get 1. Who can ever figure out the DNR. I know the northern part of the state is well blessed with white-tails.

I am still lookin to make the score FPB's - 4, Deer 0, but ain't had time lately. The Black Pearl is itchin to go though..............

How much powder do you use? I only use 2-50 grain pyrodex pellets.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

This past Saturday AM was 16 degrees F, overcast, windy, spitting snow with a covering of snow on the ground. Good weather for hunting I figured. My plan was to sit in the cottonwood stand for a while to see what might move on its own, then stillhunt some thick cover if nothing was moving.

At shooting light, about 150 yds away and up a hill, a large group of turkeys were doing their normal wake-up routine making quite a ruckus. Then about 30-45 minutes into shooting light,the turkeys started making their way down the hill, toward the wooded funnelpast my stand, on their way to feed in the cornfield. I was watching the fields, but the turkeys made so much noise I turned to see what they were doing. As I turned I saw 2 deer running out in front of them. These deer appeared to be does, and they stopped about 75 yds out and thenbegan to circle back to where they came from. The best opportunity was a quaretering away shot. Isettled the vertical crosshair on the off side leg and shot. The deer took several bounds, stopped, started walking and then fell over dead just in sight.

The FPB entered the ribs a little back, but the bullet exited right at the point of the elbow on the off side. Nice sized hole on the exit side of the ribs, just like the last deer. Maybe the angle fooled me a little, or maybe I pulled the shot a few inches. No way to know, butit worked out. Another doe for the Genesis with FPBs.
UN, Can you read this post:
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3220990

and start an FPB Scorecard? Thanks Chap
Old 12-09-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hoosier

I'm shooting 100 gr Pyrodex RS. I just bought my in-line and did not have time to do any load development. First thing I tried was this charge and FPBs. Shot two 1" groups at 50 and decided it was close enough.

This summer I plan to try 110 and 120 to see if accuracy is still there. If so, this will be a 150 yd deer load: 2" high at 50, 2.7" high at 75, about 2" high at 100, zero at 125 and 3.4" low at 150.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll work on it.
Old 12-09-2008, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

UN,

I am confident now to 150 yards. I haven't had to shoot anything other than paper that far though. I had to re-sight twice this year. First I changed to the FPB's from 250gr SW's. Second, I put a new Nikon ProStaff 3x9 scope on it. I couldn't believe how darn accurate it was. I put 3 shots almost touching at 125 yards, about 2 inches below the bull and was just resting the gun on a make shift bench....not a shooting vice.

The buck I killed was about 40 yards, my son's doe was about 30 and his buck was 80. I double lunged mine. He hit both of his in the heart. I was hoping to try shooting it a little farther but darn deer are ghosts sometimes and are close before ya even know it!

I was going to bump to 3-50 gr. pellets and try it, but decided if it ain't broke.....don't fix it!