Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM

Default Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

Has anyone tried the Hornady sabotless bullets yet? They appear to be all copper, have a plastic ballistic tipand have a hollowed out bottom similar to the Powerbelts but without the plastic bottom. They claim they are accurate (don't they all) and no plastic fouling which of course is logical since they don't use plastic sabots nor do they have plastic bottoms. A Wally World near my hunting grounds has several packs (15 in a pack) of the 350 grain reduced down to 5 bucks and I'm just wondering if they are even worth that. Thanks.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

Buy'em, thats cheap (relatively0 for pkgd bullets!! Our wallyworld has the poorest selection I've ever seen!
Old 12-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Dominant Buck

For that price I would buy them all... I have not shot them but I want to. For that price they are a deal.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:52 PM

Yeah, it's been nagging on me that I didn't buy them for that price even though I wanted to find out something about them first. I'm going hunting tomorrow so I'm going to swing by there at lunch time and pick them up. The guy in sporting goods said he can't seem to get rid of them and he guesses it's because they are new plus being 350 grains. He said most hunters he deals with at this store want the powerbelts or other bullets around 250 grains (shockwaves).
Old 12-04-2008, 06:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: graveyard zombie

Has anyone tried the Hornady sabotless bullets yet? They appear to be all copper, have a plastic ballistic tipand have a hollowed out bottom similar to the Powerbelts but without the plastic bottom. They claim they are accurate (don't they all) and no plastic fouling which of course is logical since they don't use plastic sabots nor do they have plastic bottoms. A Wally World near my hunting grounds has several packs (15 in a pack) of the 350 grain reduced down to 5 bucks and I'm just wondering if they are even worth that. Thanks.
I know you can't shoot them real fast, like 2200 fps or above in the Savage because the bottom blows off. At inline speeds of around 2000 fps, they are accurate and the 350g has a lot of energy for bone breaking strength. I believe it is an exellent strong bullet, i would love to see some "pancake tests" shooting close into sand or wet newspaper to see how they hold together. Based on the reports I have seen this year, I think they would at 2000 fps. Certainly with sidelocks or FLs and 100g or less at inline they should be an excellent bullet if you can get them snuggly down your barrel.

Chap
Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah, it's been nagging on me that I didn't buy them for that price even though I wanted to find out something about them first. I'm going hunting tomorrow so I'm going to swing by there at lunch time and pick them up. The guy in sporting goods said he can't seem to get rid of them and he guesses it's because they are new plus being 350 grains. He said most hunters he deals with at this store want the powerbelts or other bullets around 250 grains (shockwaves).
PB for easy loading, SW with lo drag sabots for long range. Very popular bullets. It is hard for a new bullet to break into this inline MLer market, 'cause guys tend to not change once they get sighted in and know their load year to year. Most guys don't shoot their gun much, and don't experiment with different bullets. Only when they have a problem (loose a nice buck, find it 300 yards away the next day 1/2 eaten---been there done that)do the then seek out "what is best" or why this or that didn't work.
Chap
Old 12-04-2008, 07:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

The are lead alloy plated well. I have use the and all the test loads were under 1.5 inches , they shoot well out of all my guns they will usually shoot with either 90 100 or 110 gr of powder and a lot of guns will shoot a inch group with the if the shooter can. I have seen a test in balistic jell and shot a boar with them and I thought they did real well ; they have good penatration and yet open well. Lee
Old 12-04-2008, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Buy them all and help out your friends on the forum
Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

So far I've tried them in 2 rifles, an older Knight inline and a T/C Hawken with a GM LRH barrel.
Very accurate from both!
I'm looking for a deer to volunteer to test their performance now.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot them in my Genesis with 100 gr Pyrodex RS and they are very accurate. Buy them and if you don't like them, I'll take the remainderoff your hands for what you have in them.

I am a fan of big heavy bullets. I generally shoot for the shoulders of a deer, andI also want the bullet to exit.

I've shot 2 deer with this bullet, both passthroughs. Tried a shoulder shot on the last deer, but as it turned out only nipped the offside shoulderblade due to the hard quartering-toward angle.

But, a deer with 2 50 cal holes through its ribs is generally not hard to find.

Quick Reply: Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.