Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

Old 12-05-2008, 06:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady 350 grain sabotless bullets

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

ORIGINAL: graveyard zombie

Has anyone tried the Hornady sabotless bullets yet? They appear to be all copper, have a plastic ballistic tipand have a hollowed out bottom similar to the Powerbelts but without the plastic bottom. They claim they are accurate (don't they all) and no plastic fouling which of course is logical since they don't use plastic sabots nor do they have plastic bottoms. A Wally World near my hunting grounds has several packs (15 in a pack) of the 350 grain reduced down to 5 bucks and I'm just wondering if they are even worth that. Thanks.
The are lead alloy plated well. I have use the and all the test loads were under 1.5 inches , they shoot well out of all my guns they will usually shoot with either 90 100 or 110 gr of powder and a lot of guns will shoot a inch group with the if the shooter can. I have seen a test in balistic jell and shot a boar with them and I thought they did real well ; they have good penatration and yet open well. Lee
Lee
Do you have a URL for the penetration test and the ballistic gel test, I would be interested in seeing this. Thanks Chap
Old 12-05-2008, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

I am a fan of big heavy bullets. I generally shoot for the shoulders of a deer, andI also want the bullet to exit.
Amen. To confirm this, just saw a show on the hunting channel and in Africa, they want you to shoot on the shoulder not behind it since big big game can go a LONG ways and blood with lions and all the other stuff out there makes tracking in tall thick grass a challenge. Not exact a fun job for a PH. Big bullets going slow penetrating deep shooting thru making two huge holes, expanding to over .75 inch are big killer no doubt. I am with you on shoulder shots. Chap
Chap
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, African game is hard to kill in general, from what I have heard. Not only that, the anatomy of many species there differs from what we are used to here, the vitals are further forward. Shoulder shots are the rule there.

We all know deer are not hard animals to kill. Lung shots will do it every time. Trouble is, where I hunt a deer can go a reasonably short distance, cross a property line and end up where I don't have permission. Hasn't happened yet, and don't want it to.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

My Encore is cuurrently sighted in with the 350 grain FPB. The groups were not spectacular but were minute of pig.

As a general rule i do not shoot the shoulders of deer and hogs. It ruins too much meat.

i fully understand why a hunter would want a shoulder shot on a dangerous game animal.