Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

The weekend thru Tuesday

Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM

Default The weekend thru Tuesday

I am so looking forward to spending some quality time in the loess hills of west central Iowa this coming weekend. Time with my dad and our hunting group are some of the fondest memories in my life! This will be another chapter in the thrill of the hunt! From the pics on dad's trail cams this could be some special monster buck season for some in our group. I am the only muzzleloader in the group...I make most of them jealous...Hunting has kept me close to my dad and for that I am grateful...just excited and thought I would share!!!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: The weekend thru Tuesday

ssauvainI could not agree with you more.. Some of my best memories were grouse, duck, rabbit and deer hunting with my old man and his dogs. When I was a kid he taught me to track a deer without blood. He taught me how to train a bird dog.. treasure them times.. you can never get them back once they are gone.

We still laugh when we talk about the first time I "Shot the Browning." I have Dad's original Belgium Browning (he's so proud of that fact where it was made as he hates Japanese ones) Auto 5 Light (nothing light about it) 12 gauge Semi automatic shotgun. I was eight or maybe nine and the old fa*rts club (as I called them)let me go along with them grouse hunting. When they stopped to drink coffee, chew tobacco, and BS old grouse hunting stories (which was the best part of the hunt) they told the old man.. let him shoot the Belgium (which is what Dad called his shotgun).

So Dad looked at me and asked, you want to shoot it.. I told him you bet. He let my brother shoot it first (who was older). And I watched him get smacked around. He did not want to shoot it again. Dad then asked, you sure you want to shoot? I just smiled and nodded yes. So they handed that heavy monster to me and I took aim at a stump and pulled the trigger. That old mechanical operated Browning kicked the snot out of me. As they alllaughed at me, I asked.. can I shoot it again? And they stopped laughing and just kind of stared at me.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:14 AM

NICE...the stories...the coffee and pie breaks...classic times...and the good natured ribbing!!!!

ORIGINAL: cayugad

ssauvainI could not agree with you more.. Some of my best memories were grouse, duck, rabbit and deer hunting with my old man and his dogs. When I was a kid he taught me to track a deer without blood. He taught me how to train a bird dog.. treasure them times.. you can never get them back once they are gone.

We still laugh when we talk about the first time I "Shot the Browning." I have Dad's original Belgium Browning (he's so proud of that fact where it was made as he hates Japanese ones) Auto 5 Light (nothing light about it) 12 gauge Semi automatic shotgun. I was eight or maybe nine and the old fa*rts club (as I called them)let me go along with them grouse hunting. When they stopped to drink coffee, chew tobacco, and BS old grouse hunting stories (which was the best part of the hunt) they told the old man.. let him shoot the Belgium (which is what Dad called his shotgun).

So Dad looked at me and asked, you want to shoot it.. I told him you bet. He let my brother shoot it first (who was older). And I watched him get smacked around. He did not want to shoot it again. Dad then asked, you sure you want to shoot? I just smiled and nodded yes. So they handed that heavy monster to me and I took aim at a stump and pulled the trigger. That old mechanical operated Browning kicked the snot out of me. As they alllaughed at me, I asked.. can I shoot it again? And they stopped laughing and just kind of stared at me.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck to you it is sure to be cold up there and they should be moving. I have great memories of going with dad to the check stations we once had and seeing what everyone in the area had and their stories. Missouri, done away with check stations and now all we do is call it in and get a number to put on the tag and we are done. Sure kicked the hell out of small towns who depend on hunters being there. DangI miss that.