Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

ok those that shoot loose powder

Old 12-04-2008, 12:42 AM
Spike

Default RE: ok those that shoot loose powder

I bought a case of the Zip-Fizz, energy powders that you put in you water bottle, from costco. They come in a little plastic vial, pop top type, each would hold about 200 grns BP, totally waterproof. I just carry a bunch of those with me. Store extra conicals in them too, hold .54 just fine.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Does anyone now if Lanes tubes will hold a 50 cal projectile? He sas the diameter is .570" at the top. Is that ID or OD?
Old 12-04-2008, 07:09 AM
Fork Horn

Since I am a traditional front stuffer guy I carry a powder horn... I have modernized it a bit with a spring loaded valve and a spout on the end that when covered with your finger and turned upside down fills with a depression of the valve plunger. whala measured charge... dump down the barrel...
Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Does anyone now if Lanes tubes will hold a 50 cal projectile? He sas the diameter is .570" at the top. Is that ID or OD?
Yes they will UncleNorby. I have the 10ml tubes andand they will hold three 300 grain Gold Dots in sabots. If you go to Lane's ad here http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3035180and scroll down to the pictures, you will find a picture of a tube loaded with 50 caliber bullets in sabots.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is your sense of using the tube as a spedloader? Insert 50 cal FPB, then powder, then cover.

To reload, uncover, dump powder and catch bullet, start bullet and ram down bore.

What I'm wondering is, will a powder like RS stay behind, or ontop of,the bullet so all of the charge gets down the bore before the slug comes out?
Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'v found putting the powder and bullet in the tube together to be problematic. The powder tend to migrate around the bullet/sabot and can jam the bullet in the tube a little. Iuse the preloaded powder tubes for shooting at the range, but use a couple of Traditions "Pellet Loader" speed loaders for hunting - the ones with a cap on each end and a barrier between the powder and bullet.

For range shooting, it's really nice to have a few dozen premeasured charges ready to load, instead of measuring and dumping at the range. I like to lay out five tubes of powder, five bullets, and five primers at a time on the shooting table. It keeps things organized and prevents the dreaded dryball. If you get interrupted in the loading process you can see at a glance where you are in the process.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Dominant Buck

I carry five of Lane's tubes loaded with my powder and then a loaded rifle. I carry the roundball, sabot, conical, what ever in an Altoid tin seperate from the powder in my vest pocket.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

I'v found putting the powder and bullet in the tube together to be problematic. The powder tend to migrate around the bullet/sabot and can jam the bullet in the tube a little. Iuse the preloaded powder tubes for shooting at the range, but use a couple of Traditions "Pellet Loader" speed loaders for hunting - the ones with a cap on each end and a barrier between the powder and bullet.

For range shooting, it's really nice to have a few dozen premeasured charges ready to load, instead of measuring and dumping at the range. I like to lay out five tubes of powder, five bullets, and five primers at a time on the shooting table. It keeps things organized and prevents the dreaded dryball. If you get interrupted in the loading process you can see at a glance where you are in the process.
Semi it appears we have the exact same procedures for both hunting and range. There's nothign worse then saying "hmmm did I load a bullet already?" If there's 4 powder tubes full and 5 bullets, I know where I'm at in the process. I use Lane's tubes for range work and use my speed loaders for hunting. I figure if I shoot more than 4 times without killing something, it's best I come home anyway
Old 12-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Typical Buck

I load a 209 primer bullet point down with sabot than 90 gr of BH209 works great. I than put the tubes in a 5 round shot shell holder on the stock.
Old 12-04-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok, these are not really great for use as speedloaders.

I'm using my old T/C speedloaders made for 50 cal maxiballs now, and they work fine with the FPBs, but won't hold more that maybe 110 gr Pyrodex RS.

Quick Reply: ok those that shoot loose powder

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.