Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My hang fire issue...

Old 12-03-2008, 08:13 AM

Default My hang fire issue...

I shoot a Lyman Mustang...and I had some hang fires with it and BH209 powder. I now have CCIM primers, so I hope that helps. Also after reading some other post I shoot the barnes 250 gr tmz...it is nice and snug in my barrel but I am use to pellets and I don't think I am tamping my powder enough...should I really knock it down hard when I seat the powder and bullet. Like how hard???
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My hang fire issue...

ssauvain

I shoot a Lyman Mustang...and I had some hang fires with it and BH209 powder. I now have CCIM primers, so I hope that helps. Also after reading some other post I shoot the barnes 250 gr tmz...it is nice and snug in my barrel but I am use to pellets and I don't think I am tamping my powder enough...should I really knock it down hard when I seat the powder and bullet. Like how hard???
Gee, you really shouldn't need CCI 209M's to shoot T7 pellets. Pellets are not progressive. Also you should not normally crush the pellet, the sabot/bullet combination shoud be seated firmly on the top of the last pellet.

I am wondering a couple of things... do you pre-fire a few primers before your first load of the session? And if you do and when you do put the muzzle close to the ground, near the diret grass or leavesand make sure that the hot gasescause the dirt, grass, leaves to bounce or move. The other thing I am concerned about is the quality of the pellets - have they been exposed to moisture - humidity - it somewhats sounds like they might be bad.

I do not have a lot of experiance with pellets as I shoot loose powder.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

With BlackHorn 209 they state that;
"BlackHorn 209 is recommended for high performance muzzleloading rifles where the primer is TOTALLY enclosed. If the primer is not totally enclosed, or the primer fit is too loose allowing blow back from the primer, the ignition flame may not be properly directed into the propellant charge resulting in a misfire or hangfire."
So have a tight fitting hot primer, and seat the tight sabot firmly on the powder charge and you should have no problems with ignition. Other then the breech plug getting fowled up.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 AM

Sorry not shooting pellets...I use to..now shooting 105 grains of Blackhorn 209.

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

ssauvain

Gee, you really shouldn't need CCI 209M's to shoot T7 pellets. Pellets are not progressive. Also you should not normally crush the pellet, the sabot/bullet combination shoud be seated firmly on the top of the last pellet.

I am wondering a couple of things... do you pre-fire a few primers before your first load of the session? And if you do and when you do put the muzzle close to the ground, near the diret grass or leavesand make sure that the hot gasescause the dirt, grass, leaves to bounce or move. The other thing I am concerned about is the quality of the pellets - have they been exposed to moisture - humidity - it somewhats sounds like they might be bad.

I do not have a lot of experiance with pellets as I shoot loose powder.

Hope some of this helps...
Old 12-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Boone & Crockett

ssauvain

Sorry about that I guessmis-read your post.. this line lead my to my mistake....

it is nice and snug in my barrel but I am use to pellets
I just read pellets into the equation...

So now I am really no help - not only do i not shoot pellets I am not familiar with the Mustang at all. I have shot up a bottle of BH in every inline I have, even the ones with an open breech plug, and really have not had a problem - so I hope you get it figured out....
Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Typical Buck

If the barrel is clean and dry the powder should fall down just fine, a few taps and it should set fine. I use this on my TK2000 12 guage and the powder sits fine. Loading the bullet should be no concern as you are not worried about crushing pellets.I would bring it home as hard as you can as long as your witness mark is set. It sounds like the breech plug may be clogged. How do the primers seat in the breech, are the snug or loose? The breech plug itself does it have a large opening or a tiny pinhole? It that gets clogged your done.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:39 AM

My breechplug is magnetized so the primer sits in it nice and tight. My breech plug hole narrows down is quite tiny at the end...I think I will just keep a small pick with me and make sure that stays open...it is clean as a whistle right now....hopefully one shot and the big one falls...then I can pick it out and make sure we have a clean opening...do you think I should fire a CCIM primer before I load??? I don't think I should have to....

ORIGINAL: Gotbuck

If the barrel is clean and dry the powder should fall down just fine, a few taps and it should set fine. I use this on my TK2000 12 guage and the powder sits fine. Loading the bullet should be no concern as you are not worried about crushing pellets.I would bring it home as hard as you can as long as your witness mark is set. It sounds like the breech plug may be clogged. How do the primers seat in the breech, are the snug or loose? The breech plug itself does it have a large opening or a tiny pinhole? It that gets clogged your done.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Typical Buck

I usuall fire a 209 cap before I load than i know the hole is clear and dry
Old 12-03-2008, 01:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

ssauvain

I haven't been much help, but i can tell for me the CCI-209M ignited BH without a problem....

Suggestion - PM 'semisane' - he shoots a Mustang, but he has not shot any BH - he may know the size of the hole on the end of the breech plug. The common thought is that it has to be .035 to work well with BH. That is one of the reasons that the Knight KRB/KP1 has a problem with it as the hole is only .025 - This does reduce blow back considerably but also does not allow enough heat top consistenly ignite BH...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:12 PM
Typical Buck

The reason I do not fire a cap before loading is my hole in my Traditions nipple is extremely tiny and I know if I fire that cap it would clog. What I do before loading is take a patch and ram it through the barrel up and down and you hear a swishing sound, that is the air blowing through the breech. Do this a few times and all is clear and it will fire every time, if not I'll buy your gun.

Quick Reply: My hang fire issue...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.