Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Report on 350 grain FPB and 2F Pinnacle

Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Report on 350 grain FPB and 2F Pinnacle

Am preparing to elk hunt this weekend. Three times i have had the Encore to the range. Second time it fired a 1.5" three shot group at 100 yards. Yesterday the wind was blowing hard and gusting. In spite of that i had a three shot group measuring about 2.5" at 100 yards.

Second group had two holes about 1.25" apart but the third one went 2.5-3"low. That was my last shot. Asi gathered up my gear to depart about 10-15 grains of powder fell out of the measure:Failed to pour the full charge in the barrel.

My FPB load for the Encore uses 120 grains of Goex 2F Pinnacle powder and a Winchester shotgun primer. It loads easily into a clean or a dirty barrel and shoots to the same point of impact. Pinnacle likes a sabot/bullet that his seated very hard.

Shooting these thing gets expensive fast. It was my desire to make the gun work with the 370 grain Maxi-Balls that i have lots of.The Maxiwill make 3-3.5" groups at 100 yards only if the barrel is swabbed well between shots. TheMaxi from a clean barrel will be in the 3" bull at 100 yards. The next shot will be 6-8" to the right and about 4" low every time. Can't have that as a relatively quick follow up shot may be needed.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Report on 350 grain FPB and 2F Pinnacle

Good testing and good information there. I am looking forward to buying some of these FPB's at Wal Marts close out. It will be fun to see how my rifles like them. Still I agree, at the price of some of these bullets, they are too expensive to just shoot for extensive practice or fun. Good luck with your upcoming hunt...
Old 12-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Report on 350 grain FPB and 2F Pinnacle

That FPB load sounds lethal for any hooved North American game. Good luck with it.

They are definitely not a bullet for fun shooting, but they are a very good hunting load. They seem to shoot to the same POI from a clean or dirty barrel for me too. I have experienced the same ease of loading on a dirty or clear barrel. My groups were 1" at 50,but I have not shot it at 100 at a range. I did shoot a deer at 80 yds though.