Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Murphy's Law

Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Murphy's Law

I've had to relocate to the big city, which means I only get to hunt once a year or so. So I told my dad he could use my ML for the Ohio gun opener yesterday. He had shot it a few times, but needed some guidance on the loading, reloading and cleaning process, so I gave him instructions.

I was very clear- "Make sure you pop a primer to clear the flash hole before you load it". I've had some misfires when I didn't do this.

So he calls back last night- his hunting buddy who was helping him with the loading process said "Oh, you don't need to pop a primer first before you load it" - so he didn't do it.

Long story short- he had a nice big doe standing broadside at 30 yards, aims, pulls the trigger and "pop" instead of "boom"[:@]. Deer takes off running, he's left empty handed. I told him- I know I'm only your son, and not in a position to give you orders, but I know my rifle and I've learned things the hard way, so if I say to do things a certain way, then you should listen or bad things will happen. Anywhoo, hopefully I'll have more luck when I head back for muzzleloader season at the end of the month... Mr. Murphy is alive and well....

Anyone else have any experiences with Murphy's Law?
Old 12-02-2008, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Murphy's Law

The FIRST RULE OF MUZZLELOADING; Pop a cap, don't matter if it's the range or the hunt. Pop one, dn't take no time and it might wake up Mr. Big and his curiosity!!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:04 PM
Dominant Buck

I actually like to blow three caps before I load. Also I know all about telling my father something. I have better luck talking to the dog. At least he acts like he's interested and paying attention.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just want to say, you told him right and he's the one who chose not to listen.Please don'tblame me or my family.

Better luck next time out to him.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

murphy follows me from nov. 1 to nov 29.

goes away from dec 13 to the first week of jan.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Day before deer season was supposed to be the day I made sure every thing was ready to go. Turned out to be a day of ordeals that kept me away from home till the wee early hours. Lucky only thing left to do was load the rifle. I dumped the 100gr of T 7 down the bore grabbed a T/C express sabot and a bullet from the box on the reloading bench. As it slid down the bore I think HUMMMMMM that didn't feel right for some reason. Proped it by the door and went to bed.
The next morning it's raining but I haven't time to cap the muzzle to keep moisture out as I am still groggy from the short night of sleep. I did grab a rubber band and some cling warp so I could install it at the blind. Steped out the door and installed the primer then slung the rifle muzzle down.
Got toi the blind and installed the cling wrap.
Couple days latter I decided I would push the load out since it had rained so much. Removed the BP, installed the tube and hung a bag on it. Pushed the load out and there was no bullet in the bag. Now I am wondering if I did load a bullet at all or just the sabot?
About 3 days after that I was walking into the house and laying at the bottom of the steps was a bullet, a 240gr XTP in fact. Now I know why the loading didn't feel right they are 430dia and the 230gr XTP HP I use in the T/C mag express are 451dia.
Good thing I didn't get that shot of a life time. I would always wonder just why did I miss such a easy shot.

Al