Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

miss fire HELP........

Old 12-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Spike

Default miss fire HELP........

I'm shooting a savage m2 smokeless with VIHT N-120 smoke less powder, Winchester 209 primers and Barnes .50 cal 290 gr TMZ's. attempted 2 shoots IL first season. put the cross hairs on the deer pulled the trigger and " click" ................ Same powder load different primers. I left a load in the gun over night and it fired perfectly in the morning. doe down. the next load misfired 2 times. happen to any one else? any input will be appriciated. thanks and good luck !
Old 12-02-2008, 01:12 PM
FG

Default RE: miss fire HELP........

Try CCI primers.
Old 12-02-2008, 01:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

grnhdhntr_1

put the cross hairs on the deer pulled the trigger and " click" ................
Did you hear the primer go off? If it did not go off was there an impression in the primer from the firing pin?

I do not shoot a Savage, but a least one of our menbers does, might PM chapman gleason or he should pick up on this.

Same powder load different primers. I left a load in the gun over night and it fired perfectly in the morning. doe down. the next load misfired 2 times.
I would still like to know if the primers actually fired and if not was there an impression in the primer?
Old 12-02-2008, 01:31 PM

I think it is the primers...go to CCIM 209 is what they told me...

ORIGINAL: grnhdhntr_1

I'm shooting a savage m2 smokeless with VIHT N-120 smoke less powder, Winchester 209 primers and Barnes .50 cal 290 gr TMZ's. attempted 2 shoots IL first season. put the cross hairs on the deer pulled the trigger and " click" ................ Same powder load different primers. I left a load in the gun over night and it fired perfectly in the morning. doe down. the next load misfired 2 times. happen to any one else? any input will be appriciated. thanks and good luck !
Old 12-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ssauvain

I am truly a fan of CCI primers, but after my experimentations with BH-209 this summer I think that the Federal 209A might be the better primer it is certainly the stronger primer.

Here are some test results on different primers

Winchester 209ML ........................221 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Winchester 209 Triple Seven ML.....244 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Remington 209 Kleanbore ML ........318 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Std. Winchester No. 209A ..............336 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Std. Remington No. 209 .................341 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Cheddite No. 209 ...........................347 f.p.s.
[/align]
[/align]Federal No. 209A ...........................381 f.p.s.[/align][/align]While the CCI-209M is not listed - I am pretty sure that the 209A is the hottest primer + structurally they stay together better ( the primer does not back out of the battery cup as easy) .... the 'problem' - the military uses these primers for their contract rounds... so they maybe hard to find in some locals...[/align]
Old 12-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hold on here - What was the temp? You said you aimed at a deer and click! Then you left the load in the rifle overnight and it fired perfectly the next morning? Was the rifle indoors overnight?
If so, I have a feeling it isn't the primers but the firing pin not hitting hard enough. Especially if it was cold. I'd take that bolt out and spray the crap out of it inside with carb cleaner or some other degreaser and apply a very light coat of WD-40 .
Sounds to me as though you have a gunk build up in the bolt assembly.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd put my money on bronko's analysis.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Semi...

That's is exactly why I was asking the questions in the my first post - Was the 209 even firing?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: grnhdhntr_1

This happens a lot to first time Savage shooters, me included. I have a Savage and last year used a Parker Ballistic Extreme 275g with 44g of 5744 and the same thing happen to me on my first day of MLer season but I was shooting at a turkey at about80 yards. Your problem is either:

1) not compressing the powder adequately like putting 60lbs of force to seat the bullet on the powder or
2) your sabots are not tight in your gun. I have tried the TMZs, and they were not accurate in my gun with the supplied sabot, I don't exactly remember exactly the reason for the non-accuracy, but I believe it was the sabot/bullet tightness combo.

It is 1 of those two problems.

To correct this if the sabots are loose, put a piece a paper around the bullet and insert it into the sabot. If that does not tighten it up, then switch sabots to a thicker sabot like MMP 12. However when you switch sabots to a thicker sabot your going to have to put a #18 washer at the bottom of the sabot and then put the bullet on top of the washer, so you don't get blow-by on the sabot. The reason you need the washer is that the TMZ is a boat tail and the sabots are for flat based bullets. By the way Barnes just started making Flat based TMZs they call it the Spit-fire-T-EZ:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/product...>??a>??/

not for sale in retail stores, but you can order them from Barnes site. Several folks over on Doug's Savage Forumhave switched to these. Also Doug's Savage forum has a lot of info on this subject in the Tips and Hints section:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=1249

This post over on Doug's Savage forum speaks to some misfire problems:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=10837

Chap
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ah-HaChap, we all yield to the voice of experience! Only a smokless/Savage shooter would have recognized the problem. That's the great thing about this forum.It always seems as though someone herehaswalked the trail before and knows the sign.

Quick Reply: miss fire HELP........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.