Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

miss fire HELP........

Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: miss fire HELP........

Things like that just don't happen with an Accura.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Ah-HaChap, we all yield to the voice of experience! Only a smokless/Savage shooter would have recognized the problem. That's the great thing about this forum.It always seems as though someone herehaswalked the trail before and knows the sign.
Yes, very true, there is a good combination of guys who have different guns with different loads and different bullets and different sabots that know the signs of a given problem. I have walked this tightness sabot trail before and know the signs well because the very first time I shot 4198 out of my savage I got the primer going off and the bullet spitting out the front about 20 feet, no bang. I asked on Doug's Savage forum what the problem was and it was sabot tightness and NOT compressing the powder. The TMZ are for a tight barrel like a Knight, so I suspect they are loose in his barrel.

By the way how tight is "just right tight?" in a Savage or any gun shooting Blackhorn? Well it is Goldiocks tight, which is:

not loose enough that you can shove the bullet and sabot down with 1 hand
not so tight you have to pound it down
but a >>lot<< of force on a dirty barrel will push the bullet down

If you can pushthe bullet and sabotdown >>without<< a short starter it is probably TOO LOOSE!!!

Then you LEAN with ALL your weight on the ram rod, best to have an XS Power Rod and not the Lame
Savage rod that comes with the gun. Some guys take a hammer and tap the rod twice after seating the bullet with a lot of weight, I do NOT do that. I have NOT has a misfire, since I started using Barnes Origonals with Crushed rib and a dirty barrel and putting all my weight on an XS Ram Rod.
Chap
Old 12-03-2008, 05:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Underclocked

Things like that just don't happen with an Accura.
But then you can't see which way the deer went when you shoot it, unless your using your BH209.
Chap
Old 12-03-2008, 05:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

Chap, Are you saying that the powder compression and/or bullet tightness is the reason the primer didn't go off? That's confusing as heck to me.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Chap, Are you saying that the powder compression and/or bullet tightness is the reason the primer didn't go off? That's confusing as heck to me.
I read misfire and didn't see that the primer did not go off, but it can happen that the primer doesn't go off. Your right, it is not sabot tightness and compression, but now could be breech plug not screwed in tight or vent liner plugged. Take the bolt out and see if the breech plug can be tightened. Also could be a bad primer. Sounds like this has happened before to grnhdhntr_1, that is why I think it is sabot tightness or powder compression. Yes a non-fire can happen with non-compressed powder, first shot I ever took with a Savage at the range did that with 5744 and a 300g XTP. I took the primer out reseated the bullet and it shot. I would say that is the number 1 problem for most Savage shooters when they start out, not getting the gun to go off and it is usually powder compression with smokeless.
Chap