Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Funny question to ask.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Funny question to ask.

What rifle should I buy as I'm intrested in starting to shoot muzzle loaders.

(1. where do you live as the rules that apply differ from state to state. Even the name for the season differs from state to state.
(2. Whats your buget, Are you funds on the tight side or unlimited?
(3. Are you planing on scopeing it? Again some states don't allow a scope or a low power one. some rifles don't even come with open sights.
(4. Are you big or small? there are some rifles more suited to a person on the small size like a youngster or woman. There are some better suited for big burly men.

(5 What way do you lean, more to the Danial Boone side or to the most moderen up to date side. Isa side lock your style or an inline. Think cleaning a rifle is a chore or is it a act of love for fine shooting equipment. Do you have the missed conciver Idea that pellets are easier than loose powder. Pellets don't work so auto well in side locks.

With out knowing the answers to the above questions the orginal question is just a funny question that requires every one to ask them before answering.

Al
Old 12-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Funny question to ask.

You could buy any muzzleloader that felt good, but I would go with a Thompson Center just because it's hard to go wrong with them.
(1. I live in TN, the land of expensive licenses and way too long of an archery season.
(2. My funds are about as tight as they could get. I'm so broke I can't pay attention.
(3. My Omega has a 1.5x5 power shotgun scope on it. The rest are open sighted.
(4. I'm not the biggest guy around, 5' 8" and 135#.
(5. My Omega shoots pellet powder now, and I have an older CVA Huntsman, those are the only two modern muzzleloaders I have. I have three side locks. I like all my muzzleloaders equally, it just depends on what mood I'm in as to if I take out a traditional one or an inline. Cleaning isn't my favorite thing but I try to make it fun.