Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Omega's Breech Plug PIA

Old 12-02-2008, 06:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Omega's Breech Plug PIA

Last year I never fired my Omega but after the last hunt of 2007 I took it apart and cleaned it and added anti-seize lube to the threads of the breech plug. Yesterday I went hunting, no shots but it was raining in the morning so when I got home I wanted to clean it. For the life of me I couldn't get the breech plug off using the supplied wrench. My friend came over to help still nothing, I even sprayed WD-40 numerous times and let it sit for a few ours, still nothing. Later on that night I used my rachet (7/16) and with some effort I got it off. I cleaned it and added the anti-seize lube. I called T/C to see if they had any suggestions if I couldn't get it off, they never answered nor did they return my phone call, my friend has been calling them for the last week about rusting on the outside of his Omega's barrel, they still haven't returned his calls. Could it be since S&W took over things are going down hill? I love my Omega but this breech plug crap is getting on my nerves, I'm thinking of getting a Triumph
Old 12-02-2008, 07:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Omega's Breech Plug PIA

Bowhunter - A question. Does the plug begin to unscrew then tighten up? If so, you need to unscrew until it gets tight, then screw back in and retry. I know its a pain. My Genesis is the same way.
You can also try applying a layer of teflon tape, then the anti sieze lube prior to reinstalling.
Also, be sure that the breach is clean. Really clean. I remove my barrel from the action and after I clean my barrel, Ispray this area again with windex with amonia and scrub it with a chamber/breach brush then flush with hot water. Run some dry patches down, then a patchwith alcohol, then a light coat of gun oil.

Maybe not but my suspicion is that you may still have some fouling on thethreads when re-installing the breach plug.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are your thread clean, or did they get some rust in them at some point? That can make them harder to remove, no matter the anti-seize method.

I have used a single-layer wrapping of the white plumber's teflon tape, wrapped in the appropriate direction to tighten as you tighten the plug in (ie tape should wrap on as you turn the plug clockwise from behind) since I bought my first Omega. I use this method on both of my Omegas.

The second lesson is to throw away that stupid wrench or use it for emergencies only. Get a cheap ratchet with a short extension and the appropriate-sized socket and keep in with your muzzleloader supplies.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM
Typical Buck

I leave my breech plug out in the off season oil it good put in a ziplock and tape to the stock or barrel. I have a cleaning box just for muzzy's so I store mine there I have 3 extra's
Old 12-02-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

No rust, super clean is this and all my firearms. I have heard of the plumbers tape but I never had such a hard time removing the breech plug before from the Omega or my older Knight. The rachet set (7/16) will be in my box for now on.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I did try the grease ONCE. My experience was similar to yours as I recall. That was when I went looking for and found the tape solution. Hold the roll in your left hand and plug in right, put the tape on the top of the plug starting at the nose of the plug and work back towards the socket end. If you wrap it reversed it can bind up when threading it in.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Spaniel is right on with his post. Taping has really been succesful for me and I do not use any grease at all + I never loosen the BP. If you gt the tape on right and snug (not tighten) the BP up against the flange in the barrel - blow back will be stopped right at the face of the BP. Gotta thank UC for doing the art work

As he indicated wrapping the plug correctly is the key... Here is a wrapped plug and the same plug removed after 20 some shots I think..

Here is a wrapped Knight plug ready to be installed....

To me it really is import to overwrap the nose of the BP... to create the seal at the end of the barrel...
Old 12-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pictures say it a lot better than words. Glad someone took the time to make up such resources for common questions!
Old 12-02-2008, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

Great post and picture there Sabotloader.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been using Sabotloader's method for over a year now with my Mustang - no grease, no loosening the BP, and especially no grease blow back into the action. It works great. I've never had any problem removing the plug even after a thirty shot range session and leaving the plug in the gun for a few days after the session. This September I shot one five-shot target with the Mustangthree Sunday afternoonsin a row. I cleaned the bore and breech areaafter each session, but did not remove the plug. A few daysafter the third session I pulled the plug with no difficulty. THANKS SABOTLOADER!

Quick Reply: Omega's Breech Plug PIA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.