Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Blackhorn 209 and hang fires.....

Old 12-01-2008, 07:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Blackhorn 209 and hang fires.....

Welcome to the forum ssauvain. I'm glad we have another Mustang owner in the group. Up until now there have been only two of us, me andjohnny2.

How long have you had your Mustang and what other loads have you shot out of it? I've never used Blackhorn because I like to frustrate cayugad who keeps trying to get me to give it a shot.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Have had my mustang for 3 seasons...first season 2 shots, 16 point non-typical scored 169, and a healthy doe, season 2 10 point buck scored 152 and a healthy does, season 3 no buck but 2 does. I use to shoot 2/50 grain 777 pellets with the same barnes bullet. Grouped within 1 1/2 inches at 100 yards. Trying the blackhorn...shoots ok just the slight hang fire...clean as a whistle though!!!! Trying 105 grains with same bullet and still 1 1/2 groups at a 100...going to try the CCI 209m's and see if that helps.

ORIGINAL: Semisane

Welcome to the forum ssauvain. I'm glad we have another Mustang owner in the group. Up until now there have been only two of us, me andjohnny2.

How long have you had your Mustang and what other loads have you shot out of it? I've never used Blackhorn because I like to frustrate cayugad who keeps trying to get me to give it a shot.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:34 AM
Spike

This BH 209 is interesting...i am shooting it out my Knight Long Range Hunter...had experience with hang fires..but that was ultimately my fault, i had the power stem breach plug in there..changed back to the original plug and havent had any problems yet with it. Although i had a load in my gun for about 10 days and went to fire it and it didnt go off...i put another primer in it and it went click boom....reloaded it with fresh bh209 and fired again...no problem then...so depending on temperature and conditions, you might want to empty your gun every couple days.

I am using 120 grains of BH209 behind a 300 grain scorpion gold and am using the CCI Mag primers which i believe are the hottest primer out there.

I am having a breech plug drilled out to .040" from .033", which was suggested to me on this forum by someone who talked with BH209 maker.

I think it is worth the struggle to figure out what will make this powder no hang fire...i have two LRH and out of both guns i have 3 shot groups touching at 100 yards...that to me is worth the time i am putting into the BH209 to figure out the right combination.

I read this forum all the time, and this place has become like family to me..i dont post much..but i do read stuff here everyday.....

Old 12-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Then I have no idea what to tell you. I never had a problem with BlackHorn going off when I shot Winchester W209. I guess change primers and try a different one.

According to the information Black Horn sent me, Winchester, CCI, Federal, Cheddite, and Remington are good brands. Stay away from Remington Kleenbore, Winchester Triple Se7en, musket caps, #11 caps, CCI inline MZL primers, and Federal Fusion 209 Muzzleloading primers.
What's wrong with the Remington KleenBore primers? Not hot enough?
Old 12-02-2008, 07:38 AM

Who do I get to bore it out??? I suppose I can't just buy a breech plug already bored out for my Lyman Mustang....can Cabelas or bass pro do it while I wait???? Is it really neccessary????? Or just get the CCI hotter M primers??? Season is this weekend...don't want a dude to go off as I shoot at the monster!!! Although my problem is just the hangfires...click...then boom

ORIGINAL: bo79

This BH 209 is interesting...i am shooting it out my Knight Long Range Hunter...had experience with hang fires..but that was ultimately my fault, i had the power stem breach plug in there..changed back to the original plug and havent had any problems yet with it. Although i had a load in my gun for about 10 days and went to fire it and it didnt go off...i put another primer in it and it went click boom....reloaded it with fresh bh209 and fired again...no problem then...so depending on temperature and conditions, you might want to empty your gun every couple days.

I am using 120 grains of BH209 behind a 300 grain scorpion gold and am using the CCI Mag primers which i believe are the hottest primer out there.

I am having a breech plug drilled out to .040" from .033", which was suggested to me on this forum by someone who talked with BH209 maker.

I think it is worth the struggle to figure out what will make this powder no hang fire...i have two LRH and out of both guns i have 3 shot groups touching at 100 yards...that to me is worth the time i am putting into the BH209 to figure out the right combination.

I read this forum all the time, and this place has become like family to me..i dont post much..but i do read stuff here everyday.....

Old 12-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Spike

I would just use the CCIM primers...my dad works in a machine shop and he had it bored out on a drill press professionally. The 3 shot paterns i was getting was with the power stem which they do not recommend because of hang fires....i was getting those hangfires like you said...click..boom...and had great accuracy..i think if you switch to the CCIM primers you will do fine.

Let me know how it works...