Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Kinda glad it is over

Old 12-01-2008, 07:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Kinda glad it is over

Wisconsin modern firearms season ended yesterday. I spent approximately 30-40 hours out hunting and didn't see a horn. A couple does and fawns which weren't close enough to shoot if I wanted to.
I used to have access to 100 acres of large swamp which I hunted for almost 40 years but the land got sold to wings over wisconsin, Two so-called "care-takers" are the only ones who are supposed to be hunting in there, but I don't see how those two people could drive 4 cars and trucks ???
They gave mea fine for trespassing last year and I wasn't even hunting, just taking pictures.
Anyway, I am limited now to 30 acres of my own land and neighbors and their friends 8-12 so called "hunters"that only step foot in the woods during gun season, drive from one woods to another and shoot anything that moves.No rspect for other people or the animals they hunt.I'm surprised they didn't have any accidents yet.
Hopefully next week I will get out with the muzzleloader when things get back to normal.

Just had to vent a little. Thanx for listening !!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2008, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Kinda glad it is over

Hey I hear you. I hunt the gun season but with my Muzzleloaders. The hunters can be crazy here too. There are times it feels like I am in a war zone with all the shooting going on. Not to mention the trespassers who think a Posted sign is for target practice and not for anything else. My Muzzleloader season started this past weekend and things really were quiet. I'll have all this week and the this weekend pretty much alone.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Well if the modern season was an indication of how the muzzle loader season is going to be.. I might just stay home and punch holes in targets. At least I will get some shooting and hear some gun fire. I never saw a deer!!! Now granted I did not hunt every day or all day. There was nothing moving in the woods, no shots, no nothing. I walked the fresh snow falls and found two small deer tracks that I walk out to the neighbors property. I, being an honest man stopped and went home. Although seeing foot prints coming off their land on to mine made me a little curious. But you have to understand their mentality. They live in the southern end of the State, own land here and think their 20 acres and cabin entitle them to everyone's land. After all, as they love to tell you.. we're neighbors.

I've heard of Wings over Wisconsin. They claim they are making habitat for the upland game birds. But you never hear of them letting hunters on the property. I think you have to be a member to even go on their land. At least my neighbors on all but one side are the Chequamegon Nicole National Forest.

Maybe the deer will calm down by Thursday and start to move back into the area. After muzzle loader season they are going to have another four day anterless hunt. Just what we need, more does killed around here. That should just about do the herd in.

Better luck in the muzzleloader season.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: cayugad

I've heard of Wings over Wisconsin. They claim they are making habitat for the upland game birds. But you never hear of them letting hunters on the property. I think you have to be a member to even go on their land.
Their policy has been "NO HUNTING"preiod, but these two people are on the board of directors which sets policy for their area, and their compensation for being caretakers is tohave hunting privilages.
Kind of political B.S. I think and other neighbors have told them so.

But what are you going to do ??
Old 12-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Right, then they look for grants, and membership dues, and hand outs to make their property better to draw off the other areas. Now that makes a lot of sense. Then they do not allow hunting. Those are the ones that if they step foot on my land there is going to be real trouble.

I dealt with those kind of groups in the southern end of the state near Portage. No hunting was allowed, yet if you were a donor (and it better be a large one) you were allowed to go in there and shoot monster bucks.

My best friend's dad was a major contributor to one of these preserves. So they allowed us on the property to cull does. And there were herds of doe that would run by you all day. To shoot a doe on that property was like going into a cow yard. It kind of took the fun out of it, but you did fill the freezer.