Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

It isn't BP - but another Idaho whitetail

Old 11-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default It isn't BP - but another Idaho whitetail

Fnally got the pictures back.. so I thougt it might be OK to post...

My hunting partner scored a nice Idaho whitetail Saturday morning... we were up pretty high and Larry took the hot route up the ridge... When he got to the top he spotted 3 does coming up from the saddle... he let them pass on threw and decided to wait on a stump and see what might follow asanother partnerwas coming up from the south to the ridge top - sure enough- this guy steps out about 75 yards from the Larry...

It was an easy animal to get out slid him down the ridge 150 yards - through him in the truck and came home...

Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: It isn't BP - but another Idaho whitetail

Lucky your drag was down hill with that big devil. Nice deer. Great pictures too.. Way to go Larry.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

It is really fun to get lucky and get a harvest, but for us old folks - Larry and I - it really makes for good stories and good memories with a very good friend.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:18 PM
Dominant Buck

I have to agree. Hunting with friends is a great thing. A harvest is a bonus, the memories a treasure. After my friend Bill had a stroke and now gets around with the aid of a walker, it took the steam out of me. I offered to take him to a blind on my 4 wheeler. I even outfitted a .44 mag with a RED DOT since he has no use of his left side, so he could still shoot. But he does not want to hunt anymore. I still enjoy hunting, but something is not the same.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck. I had heard that those New Idea HO bucks could get to be monsters.

I lost both my hunting partners. One My dad at 86 in 2002 said he had enough excitement in his life.He was worried about having a heart attack in the woods. I got his deer rifle and shot my last buck with it in the fall of 2003. I wrote a story about it that got published in a hunting Mag in December 2004. Dad passedaway in June and never got to read the story. I was going to suprize him with it.
My other hunting partner had a mild heart attack in the summer of 2004. His wife rags on him about slowing down and taking it easy so he has stopped going to deer camp so he doesn't have to listen to her.
I now hunt alone. I don't mind that. Kare doesn't even mindnor does she ask me to call her every so often. She knows about where to send the search team for the remains if I don't return home by the 2nd of Decmeber.

I do have a crazy friend who hunts youtes with me. He got pulled over on his bicycle last March with two youtes strapped to the rear cargo carrier. Cop was confused and thought they had to be tagged some how.

Al
Old 12-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Nice! Congrats to Larry.
Old 12-01-2008, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad
I still enjoy hunting, but something is not the same.
Been there, donethat. I am the typethat I will do something like fish, hunt or play golf as long as it iswitha friend. Whenmy father-in-law died, I gave up golfing. I would do the same for hunting orfishing. I can't do it alone. It isn't any fun not to be able to smoke and joke with a buddy during the hunt.

Great buck Larry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I ever shot anything that big, itwould have to be a horse. They don't get that big where I hunt.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hunting alone isn't so bad. Just got to remember a few things, like shoot staight because the great tracker isn't around any longer. Not to drag a deer a half mile all at once, do it in stages and only to a spot you can get the 4 wheeler to or the pick up.
You don't have to worry about what you fix for supper either, because the fellow that don't like liver & onionsisn't there.
When you see one like this

you can look to the heavens and say isn't she a beauty dad. I know in my heart he is looking down and saying she sure is.
Ya also have to stay in pratiace hunting too. It is only 10 more years and the grandson will be able to shoot his first buckand will need your help.

Al
Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: alleyyooper

Hunting alone isn't so bad. Just got to remember a few things, like shoot staight because the great tracker isn't around any longer. Not to drag a deer a half mile all at once, do it in stages and only to a spot you can get the 4 wheeler to or the pick up.
You don't have to worry about what you fix for supper either, because the fellow that don't like liver & onionsisn't there.
When you see one like this

you can look to the heavens and say isn't she a beauty dad. I know in my heart he is looking down and saying she sure is.
Ya also have to stay in pratiace hunting too. It is only 10 more years and the grandson will be able to shoot his first buckand will need your help.

Al
Well said Al!!!