Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

help choosing muzzleloader

Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default help choosing muzzleloader

I would like to get into muzzleloader hunting next year. Theres so many choices. I having been reading about it but I know very little. Could you tell me what style you like/dislike and why ( break action bolt,ect.)? Any other info would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Brad
Old 11-30-2008, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: help choosing muzzleloader

Remington Genesis.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

bowfisherman

Just my thoughts...

Companies have gone to great lengths to make ML's less complicated and more user friendly. The new guns have less operating parts and are easier to clean. I am not a fan of break open ML's but most of the new ones are exactly that and performing very well - most of the new ones come with a some form of 'speed breech' which allows quick and easy removal of the breech plug which facilitates cleaning. About the only contained portion of the ML anymore is the firing pin assembly - therefore some might think that somewhat difficult to clean. Most modern ML's are basically cleaner in the breech area that they have ever been.

Be sure and check the rules of your state on what might be allowed and what is not allowed. Also try to handle any ML that you mightwant to purchase to see how it feels to you, weight and fit....

There are a ton of quality ML's on the market today and for the most part they are really accurate.

It seems to me that the TC Triumph has recieved the most positive reviews and is an excellent gun from a company with an excellent reputation. They also produce a series of guns produced on theEncore frame - which has long been a market leader - altough I do not like their looks - stupid reason on my part.

Another good gun might be the BPI/CVA Accura, probably the best gun they have ever produced, but be aware that it carries loose powder restictions, projectile weight restrictions that are less than any other major producer of modern ML's

Knight has long been a leader in the market also and is producing to primarily modern ML's the KP1 a break open ML and the KRB which I beleive is a non break open.

Hope some of this might help you in your pursuit... as you get more specific questions come back and and ask them there is a wealth of information on this sight.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I still favor the old school rifles that have hammer striker design. Other then the new Genesis with the cam action, which I really like, I have a Knight Disc which is old technology but works perfect. All my other inlines are hammer striker models. They are simple to clean (although they are a lot more fowling prone then the new ones), simple to fix, and just seem to work perfect. Also they are normally not as expensive and will shoot just as good as the new style.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

cayugad

I still favor the old school rifles that have hammer striker design.
YES!!! me too - exactly why I see no need to go to the more modern ML's - I really have no complaints with what I have - EXCEPT when they might miss... but my grand kids tell me that i am to old and need to be more modern.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:22 AM
Dominant Buck

your grandkids just want to build up your gun collection and get you in trouble with the wife. At least you can blame future purchases on them for a change..
Old 11-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brrad you said you are not buying a rifle till next year?? If this is correct then you are in luck. Just continue checking into this sight for the next 6 months. You will learn all you need to know. And there will be plenty of posts to help you make your decision. You may also find someone selling one of their MZ's for a good deal in the next 6 months. Also you did not list how much you want to spend?? And whether you want a scope or not?? Or do you want to shoot traditional style rifles or not??

I can assure you of one thing. If you read the posts on this sight over the next six months, then all the questions above will be easily answered. And you will know how much you need to save up to buy what you want. There is some good information on this site, and the guys will help you out. Tom.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

Brrad you said you are not buying a rifle till next year?? If this is correct then you are in luck. Just continue checking into this sight for the next 6 months. You will learn all you need to know. And there will be plenty of posts to help you make your decision. You may also find someone selling one of their MZ's for a good deal in the next 6 months. Also you did not list how much you want to spend?? And whether you want a scope or not?? Or do you want to shoot traditional style rifles or not??

I can assure you of one thing. If you read the posts on this sight over the next six months, then all the questions above will be easily answered. And you will know how much you need to save up to buy what you want. There is some good information on this site, and the guys will help you out. Tom.
thanks. I'm thinking of starting with open sights and if I feel the need I will buy a scope. I would probably spend up to 500 dollars. I figured I would buy it this winter and practice all year for next season since my freezer is already filled from archery and rifle season. I want something easy to clean, accurate to 100 yards and be able to fire in wet conditions. Not looking for traditional. I will keep reading and learn as much as I can, then go up to cabelas to play with some. I'm sure I'll be asking a few newbie questions along the way. Thanks, Brad
Old 11-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bowfisherman

I would like to get into muzzleloader hunting next year. Theres so many choices. I having been reading about it but I know very little. Could you tell me what style you like/dislike and why ( break action bolt,ect.)? Any other info would be greatly appreciated? Thanks, Brad
We need to know some things, like:

1) what state are you in?
2) hunting primarily woods or open fields?
3) wanna use a scope?
4) do you like traditional rifles (flintlocks and sidelocks)?
5) do you intend to hunt a lot with a MLer?
6) with this be a lifetime purchase or will you maybe buy another gun?
7) how much do you wanna spend? On gun? On Scope? In general you can get a good gun for $300 and a good scope for $200. So tell us a little about yourself and we can help a bit better.

Also read these:

SELECTING AND BUYING MUZZLELOADERS:[*]Beware the First Year Models (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Buying A New Muzzleloader? (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]How to Select a New Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Rating the Inline Muzzleloading Manufacturers (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]Recommended Muzzleloader Brands (Article by the G&S Online Staff)[*]Want to Buy an Inline? A Short History of Modern Inline Design (Article by Randy D. Smith)[*]What Makes for a Good Muzzleloader (Article by Randy Wakeman)[*]What Muzzleloader Should I Buy? (Article by Randy Wakeman)

Which are here: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

Chap

Old 11-30-2008, 12:50 PM
FG

CVA Accura easily.

Quick Reply: help choosing muzzleloader

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.